Shoulder flying off - what does it mean.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
A flying shoulder is usually a firing of the wrong body part, due to any numbers of issues. the main one I see is loss of the ground via the back foot, causing the hips and upper to fire hard, come out of posture, instead of using the GFR to give energy to the body so the launch can be middle out.

Something like this. Not quite. But it’s the best I got.

Attachments

• 131B0CF4-2F79-43A5-BB5F-7DF758414D1C.gif
    131B0CF4-2F79-43A5-BB5F-7DF758414D1C.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 31

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I see a huge difference .. IDK

View attachment 19077

View attachment 19078

Yes I know the front shoulder opens in both swings, but turning open and flying open are two separate things. I'll keep referring to it as "front shoulder flying open".
I see the cause of this as getting out of posture as W=W says. watch his hips and rear knee, both coming up and out. I see what you call a shoulder flying open a result of the poor posture. My issue with the phrase is it is used alot with little context and someone like me trying to learn focuses on the shoulders, when in actuality the issue lies somewhere else. Posture, leaving hands back, arm bar, collapsing the box, etc. Antonelli's head flies off on the top, keep your head on the ball may be a better cue. use the little light up tee or something.

In any case, i heard flying open as a cause maybe i just interpreted incorrectly, but won't think of it as a cause but instead a result of earlier issues in the swing.

May 12, 2016
I see the cause of this as getting out of posture as W=W says. watch his hips and rear knee, both coming up and out. I see what you call a shoulder flying open a result of the poor posture. My issue with the phrase is it is used alot with little context and someone like me trying to learn focuses on the shoulders, when in actuality the issue lies somewhere else. Posture, leaving hands back, arm bar, collapsing the box, etc. Antonelli's head flies off on the top, keep your head on the ball may be a better cue. use the little light up tee or something.

In any case, i heard flying open as a cause maybe i just interpreted incorrectly, but won't think of it as a cause but instead a result of earlier issues in the swing.

Splitting hairs here.. but this was my initial post. I mentioned posture being the cause in subsequent posts. I should of of explained more about posture being the cause, but I think everybody is sick of me talking about it :)

He demos how it can be done incorrectly, front shoulder flies open and no posture

Capture2.PNG

vs correctly with posture and shoulder inline

Capture1.PNG

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Splitting hairs here.. but this was my initial post. I mentioned posture being the cause in subsequent posts. I should of of explained more about posture being the cause, but I think everybody is sick of me talking about it :)

He demos how it can be done incorrectly, front shoulder flies open and no posture

Capture2.PNG

vs correctly with posture and shoulder inline

Capture1.PNG
Most excellent, thanks for the clarification. Much ado about nothing then i guess. Just another case of me misunderstanding. thanks.

Jul 29, 2013
A flying shoulder is usually a firing of the wrong body part, due to any numbers of issues. the main one I see is loss of the ground via the back foot, causing the hips and upper to fire hard, come out of posture, instead of using the GFR to give energy to the body so the launch can be middle out.

Something like this. Not quite. But it’s the best I got.
He moves his head forward, stands up on top of his front leg instead of against it, doesn't turn his hips, gains ground with his back foot, and moves his hands from back to front.
The one thing he doesn't do is pull his shoulder out.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
He moves his head forward, stands up on top of his front leg instead of against it, doesn't turn his hips, gains ground with his back foot, and moves his hands from back to front.
The one thing he doesn't do is pull his shoulder out.

It was an example of losing the ground more so than anything. It isn’t the best front shoulder fly demo, I think I said that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad