Should 10u be moving their lower body when batting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
If your looking for your DD to progress or get better you better get her with someone who knows plenty.
rkt420,
The arc you speak of.You want a throw from the infield to be as straight as possible with no arc.I understand with a younger player and strength being limited you will have some arc or not as straight a line as you would like on the throw.The no"crow hop"I hope they are allowing crow hopping for the outfielders?

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I think with a little practice, most kids can "PROCESS" and duplicate this action:

33z4uow.gif

IMO the earlier kids can start working this basic motion into their swings against live pitching, the better.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
My dd's current team has been telling her that she isn't to step or shift her weight when swinging. Her HC has told me that they don't want them doing that until they are a few years older. He said it was too much for the girls to process.

From what you describe, my bet is that your coach has not gotten past the first few pages of the hitting instruction book he has been using. Too much for him to process!

Jun 27, 2012
If your looking for your DD to progress or get better you better get her with someone who knows plenty.
rkt420,
The arc you speak of.You want a throw from the infield to be as straight as possible with no arc.I understand with a younger player and strength being limited you will have some arc or not as straight a line as you would like on the throw.The no"crow hop"I hope they are allowing crow hopping for the outfielders?

They aren't teaching anything different from OF to IF. Most of their practices consist of throws from third or ss to first as well as popup, and grounders. The few practices where they practiced in the OF the girls were told to line up in a "relay" to get the ball back to IF, which I understand if the ball went all the way to the fence but that isn't typically the case at her age.
She isn't able to throw any distance without some arc. Her throws aren't the "rainbow" that I've seen some kids throw but there is an arc in all of her distance throws.
I've found a place that isn't too far that offers instruction in all aspects of softball/baseball and I plan to get her signed up for classes with them. I fear that continually changing what she is being told will create more confusion. I wouldn't be as concerned with what these coaches are teaching if she wasn't adamant that she wants to continue with the sport. I've never seen her as dedicated to anything as she is with softball. She is taking pitching lessons and everyday she asks me to go outside and practice whether it be pitching, her throwing or batting.

Jun 27, 2012
It's possible that the coaches are right and that most of the players are casting and need to learn to keep hands inside the ball. But given the other observations you've had of the coach, I'm not betting on that.

The coach was telling the girls to move to the line as soon as they entered the box. He wouldn't release the ball until they did as he asked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd