Should 10u be moving their lower body when batting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2012
My dd's current team has been telling her that she isn't to step or shift her weight when swinging. Her HC has told me that they don't want them doing that until they are a few years older. He said it was too much for the girls to process.

Anyone heard else that?

Sep 15, 2011
Hogwash. but as I am by no means even close to being an expert like most here, I will let them back that up for me. I know they got my back.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, my..Where do coaches come up with this? Even my 2 1/2 yo GDD, shifts her weight. It comes natural, if adults do not coach it out of them. Hips, then hands.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
Absolutely incorrect I have student from 9 up to collegiate level, the 9 yr olds do the same things as the older girls, dont really have a clue what her coach is thinking, but I would guess they are very inexperienced in hitting mechanics.

May 16, 2010
My dd's current team has been telling her that she isn't to step or shift her weight when swinging. Her HC has told me that they don't want them doing that until they are a few years older. He said it was too much for the girls to process.

Anyone heard else that?

I've heard a lot of ignorant stuff stated about how to teach a swing, but that's got to be up in the top 5 of the most ignorant ever.

I know 7 year old's that shift and rotate well.

Jun 27, 2012
Thanks for the responses. She looks very uncomfortable/awkward during the swing. She'll still step/shift when she isn't concentrating on preventing the motion and they are getting upset with her. I think I need to find her a hitting instructor so that she can learn from someone who really knows what they're doing.

Jan 13, 2012

Anyone heard else that?

Yes, I have, in baseball instruction. Sadly, it gets taught, even though it's demonstrably wrong.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Don't walk run from that coach.You are safe now.Read,read and read some more the post on this forum.Start with Megan1-tee post.Don't move or shift your weight when swinging, ok then, hopefully your 10u DD is very, very large in the upper body.Why,because that's all she will be using to power her swing.Maybe they mean not to stride.Not very advisuable,but hey.Do you shift to throw? Yes,you have to.Well,same as hitting.Well, when the other 10u girls are procession the proper hitting sequence your DD is going to be farrrrrr behind.There is no age limit on learning the proper hitting sequence.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Pstein,
A thank you for your posts on other site that I lurk on.Good info,I know you can help on this site.
rkt420,
Tell them you discovered a new move it's called the "Bug Squish" you will be the man.It's atleast a baby step(of course I joke).2 years ago I wasn't joking when I said this.Untill I found this site now I'm I hitting guru(I joke again)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd