Shortstop or 2nd baseman?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Nope, that's what I would do. If I was on offense, I'd steal the runner and bunt all day on you. The 2B can't cover both first and second.

I've always had my shortstop cover the bag for all the reasons listed here. She sees the play, she doesn't have the runner in her way, she's already set up to take the throw.

I did see it work the other way once, though. I had my daughter running on a steal, and the other team had the 2B covering it. Catcher throws, the throw is off-line to the right, 2B gets the throw and makes the tag on the top of her helmet. Had the throw been on line she would've been safe.

Oct 19, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Although some hit to 3B, slappers should really be trying to hit a slow ground ball to SS, usually the deepest part of the infield and the longest throw.

fastpitch - as I see it, there are 2 ways to approach a slap situation from a hitter's perspective. First, if the left side of the infield is pulled in, you slap a line drive past them in the 5-6 slot. If they're playing back, you drive the ball into the ground trying to get a good hop out of the ball and leave the left side IF waiting for the ball to come down. Either way, the hitter has to read the IF alignment and go with the type of slap that offers the best odds.

Oct 19, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
new to the board, great info here! wish i had found it before now. just a proud parent of my DD, she plays JV, Travel and Rec. 2nd base on JV and Rec, OF on Travel. none of her coaches even have her as b/u on steals, SS always covers and CF always b/u. everytime the other teams sees 2nd cover with a runner on 1st. they bunt away and no one to cover 1st. 2 on and looking at a big inning! is this the norm, or is she getting schooled the wrong way?

Personally, I don't have 2B backing up my SS on a steal to 2nd. It gets a little crowded around the base and, besides, in order to get into an effective backup position, the 2B would need to be a good 20 feet behind the base. Much better, IMO, to let the CF backup the SS. Is your daughter getting schooled the wrong way? Not if she's being taught to play the ball first and react accordingly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut