Shortstop or 2nd baseman?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
What if your defense is set up to defend against a slap hitter with your SS playing shallow? Then you would want 2b to cover.

Oct 19, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
SS covers the throwdowns. She is facing the runner and her field of vision can take in the ball and the runner. Not so with 2B. She will have the runner behind her. Not good.

Mar 22, 2010
Well we just came in from the game tonight and sure enough they had my daughter on second trying to cover a throwdown. The SS never moves towards 2nd base at anytime so daughter is having to cover the entire middle of the field. How do you try and tell coaches they are doing it wrong? God bless them, they have the best intentions but they dont' seem to have a clue of what is going on. What was worse was the coaches wife yelling at mine to cover. I did try to explain it to her and she said that it may not be her job to do so but no one else was going to do it. Why not just tell SS instead of throwing her hands up and saying oh well, she won't?

Oct 19, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
If we pull the corners in for a slap or bunt, the outfield comes in too. I make my CF cover second.

Difference in philosophy, I guess. I NEVER have my outfielders cover a base. They are always backing up the infield. If you have CF cover a throwdown, who backs her up if the throw is off-target? Then it goes from being a stolen base to a run scored.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Different defense it makes this sport exciting. Knock on wood, we haven't had one get past yet. But your right if it's off it's gonna be ugly.

But we are very lucky, we got a catcher with a heck of a gun. Not many try to steal, and when they do and get thrown out, they sure don't try it again. :)

Apr 15, 2010
Richmond Va
new to the board, great info here! wish i had found it before now. just a proud parent of my DD, she plays JV, Travel and Rec. 2nd base on JV and Rec, OF on Travel. none of her coaches even have her as b/u on steals, SS always covers and CF always b/u. everytime the other teams sees 2nd cover with a runner on 1st. they bunt away and no one to cover 1st. 2 on and looking at a big inning! is this the norm, or is she getting schooled the wrong way?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619