Shortstop or 2nd baseman?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
This may be a dumb question but here goes:

If you have a runner stealing 2nd and the catcher throws to 2nd- who covers? The short-stop or 2nd baseman? My daughter is playing on a new rec team (left a travel team) and they have the second baseman covering but it looks to me it would be easier for the short-stop to get there.

Jun 1, 2008
The way I see it, a shortstop is already facing the right way with her glove facing the incoming runner. A second baseman would have to turn awkwardly to make a good tag.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
The way I see it, a shortstop is already facing the right way with her glove facing the incoming runner. A second baseman would have to turn awkwardly to make a good tag.

Not only that, but the SS can see the play as it unfolds. 2nd baseman makes the play blind.

Mar 22, 2010

That was my thought too. I wanted to make sure of myself before mentioning it.

The move from travel to REC had many reasons behind it but I've read some pretty heated attacks on the subject and I'd just rather not be one of those attacked.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When I have been lucky enough to have a speedy, sure gloved 2nd baseman, I do let her handle some of the action. Then, I let the SS and 2nd baseman let the catcher know who is taking the throw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619