Shortstop depth

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
My dd plays short and I follow this advice. I also move her based on the batter.

Fastpitch Softball - Shortstop Positioning

Thanks for sharing the link :)

I've quoted the article:

Lead Runner on 2nd Base

"If you use SS to cover 3B on steals, the same philosophy applies. Move her about 5 feet from the hole towards 3B. It's a very tough play for SS to cover 3B on steals. She has to get their, find the base, catch the ball, and make a tag. How many throws to 3B have you seen wind up in the outfield because the runner and SS got tangled up at 3B? Too many. Take the precision timing out of the play by getting her in a better position before the play starts.

By placing her in the optimal position before the pitch is thrown, you also avoid her breaking to the bag while the pitch is on the way. Huh? I'm sure you have seen shortstops break to the base as soon as the pitch is thrown, and then have a ball hit right where she should have been standing. Since she is breaking on the pitch, her momentum increases the size of the hole immensely. Whereas, if she is positioned correctly before the pitch, she can hold her position longer before making her break to cover the steal."

In this situation, where should F5 to be positoned, before the steals (runner on 2B) and when the steals happen, what should she do?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Playing the bunt. So that depends on where you feel she has to be. She then bends to the ground on the throw from F2, so she does not interfer. I have seen kids playing 1/2 home, which I think is not smart. They have no hope if the hitter can power slap of protecting the face. Most of the kids in this area where a mask at F5.

R

RayR

Kind of depends on the player. We have a HS SS that charges everything so she starts deeper. Most of my SS's play shallower because they don't routinely charge balls...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA