Shocked!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
why the instructors? it's the umps job to call it illegal. my 12u DD pitched her first rec ball game when she was 10. yes, she crow hopped and YES, the rec ball ump called it and she had to adjust her very next pitch on the fly w/o the hop.

what's so difficult about that? if it's in the rule, call it. don't blame the instructors if they teach incorrectly. go to one that teaches it right. it's the UMP's job to call it illegal.

strange, my DD's current team, she's the only one that drives correctly w/o breaking contact with the ground or replanting. on one tournament when the other team was pitching, i made a comment to the coach that the opposing team's pitcher was crow-hopping. What was the response? let's not talk to the ump because our own pitcher does that too.
geeze.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Why the instructors? Simple. If the pitcher is taught to pitch BY THE RULEBOOK there is never a question in an umpires mind of if she has thrown an illegal pitch or not. If the mechanics are not questionable, there is no need to make a controvercial judgement call that NO umpire wants to make!

Blame it on whomever taught her to pitch.

Jun 22, 2008
There is plenty of blame to go around.

The pitching coaches that know full well what they are teaching is illegal yet do it anyway with the excuse of "the umpires never call that". Ya, well what happens when you do run into one that does?

The coaches that know their pitchers are illegal and never do anything to fix it using the same excuse of it never gets called. And when it does get called they go nuts on the umpire claiming "she has never been called illegal before".

The umpires that dont call the illegal pitch because they dont want the trouble that is inevitably going to follow.

It all goes hand in hand, the pitching coaches need to be teaching legal mechanics, coaches need to stop covering for their pitchers and force them to get legal or dont pitch and the umpires need to call it.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Human nature is to exploit the rules if they aren't enforced.

With that said, if the umps would start calling it, then the PC's and HC's would start addressing it.

I think it all starts with the umps and sanctioning bodies. Umps need to call it and the sanctioning bodies need to back up the umps. Until that happens, nothing will change.

Feb 3, 2011
why the instructors? it's the umps job to call it illegal. my 12u DD pitched her first rec ball game when she was 10. yes, she crow hopped and YES, the rec ball ump called it and she had to adjust her very next pitch on the fly w/o the hop.

what's so difficult about that? if it's in the rule, call it. don't blame the instructors if they teach incorrectly. go to one that teaches it right. it's the UMP's job to call it illegal.
How many rec ball games have more than 1 umpire?

How many parents of young pitchers know what legal vs illegal means?

How many parents of young pitchers pay instructors thinking they know what's proper?

Enforcement is up to coaches and umpires, but teaching is the responsibility of the instructors, which should then be reinforced by the parents during at-home practices.

Aug 9, 2013
My friend who is the ump coordinator in our town was calling one of my 10U TB games this fall. I saw a girl crowhopping on the opposing team and mentioned it to him. His response was that he could not see it clearly from his location - that the 3rd and 1st base coaches (and if there was an umpire out there too) it would be much easier. We conferenced with the opposing coach and she watched and caught it so corrected it on the spot.

Bottom line: It's not always easy for the ump to pick it up with so much going on.

Sep 10, 2013
if some teachers taught that 1 + 1 = 3 and some taught that 1 + 1 =2 and the test checker was a someone who didn't care about who the student, teacher, coach whatever was and would always mark the ones who answered 3 as wrong, you think they'll continue to teach what's wrong?

dont' think so. UMPS, enforce the rule(s), otherwise, why have them at all?

Jun 22, 2008
So in your mind, the teacher who is knowingly teaching 1+1=3 has absolutely no culpability in the student not knowing the correct answer?

These instructors that are teaching illegal mechanics know full well sooner or later their students are going to run into an umpire that is going to call them. And typically it happens at nationals.

Feb 19, 2009
I'm calling BS on this notion that the credible pitching instructors are teaching students to crow hop and/or leap (some people just love to create internet straw men/women). Both of my dd's had at various times in their pitching careers leaping and/or replanting issues and on rare occasions had IP's called on them.

So to answer this question of why teach the legal way to pitch if it isn't called often I would say this: As a parent or pitching coach you have no way of knowing when or if an IP is going to be called or not. Are you going to let a pitcher continue to pitch illegally and hope you don't get the crew that likes to call IP's in elimination play at some qualifier to PGF nationals?

Dec 7, 2011
Hey DFP rulers:

You banned discussion on politics.

Can you also ban discussion on IP's?

They both are evil wrongs with no hope of a solution until the convoluted rules are abolished and the practioners are banished.

Who's with me? (Spoken in a John Belushi voice from Animal House)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG