Shocked!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
Took dd and a friend to D1 game tonight and I was shocked to find they were not calling obvious crow hop from pitcher. Is this the norm or are they laid back because it is just fall?

May 17, 2012
The umpires are waiting until they get to the next level before they start to call it. No need to retard their progress.

Sep 10, 2013
what's higher than D1?

The umpires are waiting until they get to the next level before they start to call it. No need to retard their progress.

it's really surprising to see these college-level pitchers still leap and keep both feet off the ground or replant and not get called.

waiting for a higher level? if it's a rule, it should be called even as low as 12u. when are they going to learn?

Jun 22, 2008
Enforcement in college is as hit and miss as it is everywhere else. Following my daughters college career I saw plenty of obviously illegal pitchers who were not being called.

Oct 19, 2009
I attended a D1 game last Sunday and one of the pitchers was clearly replanting her drive foot about 6 inches past the rubber and was never called the fans in the stands continually pointed it out (yelling to the UMP) it was never called. Instructors teach it, coaches allow it and UMPs don’t call it, so what are you going to do.

Not sure about this another pitcher different teams, was placing the ball in her glove pulling it out, and putting it back in to start her motion some of the fans were complaining about that also, not sure myself it would be considered illegal or not.

Did see some good legal pitchers.

Jun 22, 2008
Not sure about this another pitcher different teams, was placing the ball in her glove pulling it out, and putting it back in to start her motion some of the fans were complaining about that also, not sure myself it would be considered illegal or not.

Once the hands are brought together and separated, the pitch has started and the hands cannot be brought together again. What you have described is an illegal pitch.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
it's really surprising to see these college-level pitchers still leap and keep both feet off the ground or replant and not get called.

waiting for a higher level? if it's a rule, it should be called even as low as 12u. when are they going to learn?

I believe that was sarcasm because that is the reason so many people give for not calling illegal pitches on the younger ages.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG