shin splints on stride leg ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2014
Does anyone have any experience on pitchers that are getting shin splints on her stride leg??

and is changing her drive mechanics to step the only way that might alleviate the problem ??

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Boy, I would say that is strange. I know a pitcher needs to have good resistance (push-back) in that landing leg going into release, but I don't believe the landing would be so hard as to cause shin splints.

Nov 7, 2014
well it appears it is.

background:

last year was experiencing the pain in her shin.she was running a mile a day so I told her to stop running for a while.in the same time frame she was not pitching either though.The pain disappeared.She has been running at school practice since november with no problems. the frist game she pitched was fine, then toward the end of the second game i noticed she was not pushing back as much.then the third game she was collapsing on the front leg again and had no front side at all. She told me last night that the pain in her shin was back again.This explains 2 things to me why I have always struggled with her front side.And why the pain has always only been in her left shin.So I am wondering if changing her mechanics to step style would help it or if there is another way to deal with it :(

Feb 5, 2010
Might want to get an x ray to see if there is a stress fracture. Saw this with a young lady a few years ago, not worth the risk to not know for certain

Oct 19, 2009
DD's college team purchased a cheap pair softball shoes for each player and a number have developed shin splints the trainer is blaming the cheap shoes for the problem.

How are shin splints caused?

There are two main causes of shin splints: the first is too much impact to the lower legs, which is primarily created by heel striking. The second main cause is overuse of the lower legs while running. Overuse injuries primarily happen when you push off with your toes to propel yourself forward.

The above is reference running injuries, but it may apply to over use injury for SB players also.

The Whole Story on Shin Splints | ACTIVE

http://www.aapsm.org/baseball.html

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2013
I used to run a lot and only bought high end shoes. Some Manufacturer shoes gave me shin splints and some didn't (Nike - Bad, Asics - Good). Sometimes it's simple genetics. Bottom line I would see a doctor. I know a few people who suffered for years and finally solved the problem with orthotics. You will probably have to go to a podiatrist for a good diagnosis though.

Oct 22, 2009
I knew one once that developed them. She was about 14 at the time, did not come from overuse as she didn't practice much nor did she run. She was also a closed pitcher, so she did a lot of resistance on her front leg with her foot landing straight and pushing back straight.

Nov 7, 2014
yea I am watching it very closely right now :)

I now can tell when it is bothering her now she seems to collapse on stride leg when it is bothering her. And this is important because I have a DD that has a high threshold of pain and will try to hide things, But she can not hide that :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan