Shaved bat and what to do about it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
Interesting thread. I'm not a coach but would be inclined to dismiss the girl from the team for violating team rules and of course violating the rules of every sanctioning body. I think using a shaved bat is too egregious to simply forgive and forget. Your mileage may vary.

Jul 26, 2010
Honestly, as coaches, we're not there to instruct, reform, or help parents (as much as we would like to). It's our job to instruct and teach the kids we're responsible for, and help them develop a passion for the sport in a fun, competitive, and disciplined environment.

As a coach, it's your job to make sure that the player understands that she was cheating. She should understand what she did and why she did it, and she should be disciplined accordingly. Riding pine for a few games and writing letters of apology to her team would be a good starting point. Any discussion about the bat to the parents should be handled by the player. It's the players bat, she's the one that is going to get banned, get her team into trouble, and her coach into trouble. She should take responsibility for it.

While I know many are going to say that she probably didn't even know, and she's just a kid. . . . this is the entire point. Clearly her parents are not equipped to raise children in a respectful manner, so it's time for the kid to raise the parents.

-W

Starsnuffer....did we miss the part about her being 8 yrs old, she is not doing anything her parent are doing it, she could probably care less and just wants the bat that matches her glove or uniform.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Starsnuffer....did we miss the part about her being 8 yrs old, she is not doing anything her parent are doing it, she could probably care less and just wants the bat that matches her glove or uniform.

And the 8yo learns what if nothing is done?

While a ball hit by an 8yo will probably never reach max speed, the other 8yo may not be skilled to the point of defending what will probably be a ball faster than expected. It's a lot like a gun, the bat doesn't recognize the age or ability of the person pulling the trigger or the target.

There is no doubt the parents are the problem, but you just cannot blow it off for the player.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Carter, clear this up, does the 8 year old purp even know she had a shaved bat? Does she even know what a shaved bat is? Does she know that it is against the rules?
I guess you could have her charged with negligence, but she'll probably just get probation, no juvi time.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Carter, clear this up, does the 8 year old purp even know she had a shaved bat? Does she even know what a shaved bat is? Does she know that it is against the rules?
I guess you could have her charged with negligence, but she'll probably just get probation, no juvi time.

That is where parenting comes in. Imagine that, adults doing what they are supposed to do when they bring a child into this world. Or do you suggest we just keep everything a secret from the children so they can grow up ignorant of right and wrong?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
That is where parenting comes in. Imagine that, adults doing what they are supposed to do when they bring a child into this world. Or do you suggest we just keep everything a secret from the children so they can grow up ignorant of right and wrong?

No secrets. Send Dad to jail and DD will learn about right and wrong during visitation hours.

Jun 20, 2008
What if the 8 year old doesn't know she cheated...IMO you have to let them go and tell the little girl in the presents of her parents that she is being put off of the team not because of anything she has done but that her parents broke the rules by supplying her with an illegal alterd bat, and that you do not want her to think that she has done anything wrong it was her parents...I am almost 100% certain that an 8 year old did not ask for an illegal bat and most children would not use it if they knew at that age unless the parents are really pieces of crap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG