Shaved bat and what to do about it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2012
I recently discovered that a player on my 10u team was using a shaved bat. I went straight to the parent and they confirmed that my information was true, but said they were not doing it any more. Not a sorry and actually said it was not a big deal. In researching this, it is not only a safety issue, but also comes with stiff punishment if caught. Usssa can ban a kid until the age of 18, and ban a parent and coach for life.

Looking for any feedback

1. I have told the parent no more and i want his daughter to use a team bat from now on.

2. Is it my duty to report this to league/organizational leadership and let them know the actions i am taking to prevent this from happening again.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
At 10u? Parent go to that extent so soon? Tough spot, as a coach you are setting the rule to avoid this in the future but another team, another season, might put other kids at risk..

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It doesn't surprise me. The bats are being offered for sale, so someone is buying them. How did you become aware of it?
(I think that the family needs to be dismissed from your team, actually. It is too bad for the kid.)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I think you did the right thing. I wouldn't turn them in, it is not the child's fault.

IMO it is probably a lot more common and discovered a lot less then people think. It is definitely why new bat regulations come out extra conservative. I would guess a shaved 2013 fp bat has about the same trampoline effect as an off the shelf 2003 bat.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
It doesn't surprise me. The bats are being offered for sale, so someone is buying them. How did you become aware of it?
(I think that the family needs to be dismissed from your team, actually. It is too bad for the kid.)

^^^^^I agree, they put you in more jeopardy than they will suffer.

Aug 14, 2011
Did the parents know the bat was illegal when there daughter was using it???

Why did they stop using the illegal bat???

I think how you discovered it matters? Was it through talk with others and what were the circumstances? Getting caught doing it then stopping worries me a little...you did not stop you got caught. If someone just opened your eyes to how stupid you where and your saw the light last year and the kid showed up to practice this year with a legal bat then I might be more inclined to be forgiving.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez