Sept. 1st is approaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
It's a lot more tame for softball than it is for men's sports. I have seen posts from football recruits about every single offer they have received.

I can't be mad at these girls with their open laptops and notebook pictures. This is their time. Comparatively speaking, let them have their time. They're not posting every single offer. For the most part, offers are kept close to the vest. So what is the harm in showing some excitement in the time leading up to midnight? This is what they have worked their butt off for. I dunno, maybe I'm different but I'm happy for them.

I go back and forth on this. Posting of offers doesn't bother me. Maybe I'm numb to it or maybe it's just become standard in other sports so I don't notice. I actually think softball players should post them. But I have seen more than one college coach say they don't like it. Why is that? Why would a coach be upset that you shared that they offered you a spot on their team? Other sports send out a ton of offers to top players and no one minds when they post that they received one.

Don't get me started on softball twitter in general. The amount of girls tweeting videos of them deadlifting and tagging 15 coaches and 12 softball "news" sites is astounding. Who is telling them that they need to do this? Maybe that would stop if the grown men and women who are making money off of selling subscriptions for info on teenage girls stopped retweeting everything they are tagged in. I can't imagine the amount of tweets that coaches have to sift through to get to actual valuable info.

Feb 25, 2020
Ca.
Don't get me started on softball twitter in general. The amount of girls tweeting videos of them deadlifting and tagging 15 coaches and 12 softball "news" sites is astounding. Who is telling them that they need to do this? Maybe that would stop if the grown men and women who are making money off of selling subscriptions for info on teenage girls stopped retweeting everything they are tagged in. I can't imagine the amount of tweets that coaches have to sift through to get to actual valuable info.
I have spoken to many college coaches about this. It's just the way it is now. Coaches are interested in seeing what you do on the field, as well as what you do on your own time to better yourself. Work out videos, game videos, training videos, highlights, and whatever else players think might be important. Sure some of it is nonsense. I think a majority of coaches use social media, some use recruiting sites, and some prefer personal e-mails. And some use them all or a combo of them to learn more about a player. It's just another tool in the social media world we live in. It's not going anywhere, so you need to embrace it at some level. I'm an old guy, and I personally hate it, but it is what it is.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Haha.. Could you imagine how many HR's a coach sees in emails and tagged social media posts?!? Social media is cringey, it's literally the same thing posted over and over (hey, look at me!) camouflaged by a reason to post.

Anyway, back to Sept 1.. DD had a pretty good day, contacted by her #1 and #2 schools and one other a little bit down the list. Looking forward to getting back to normal which is practice, play, and now occasionally communicating.

Apr 8, 2019
I go back and forth on this. Posting of offers doesn't bother me. Maybe I'm numb to it or maybe it's just become standard in other sports so I don't notice. I actually think softball players should post them. But I have seen more than one college coach say they don't like it. Why is that? Why would a coach be upset that you shared that they offered you a spot on their team? Other sports send out a ton of offers to top players and no one minds when they post that they received one.

Of the girls I know who are active on softball Twitter, ALL of them do it because they feel they have to. Or more accurately, their parents start the account and hand it off when they are old enough to do it.

In my neck of the woods Twitter is considered an expectation. I don't know enough about it to say that it is necessary, but have have seen several college coaches say it is the number one way they find kids.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Social media and all of these players posting pictures of themselves in front of an open laptop with a notebook and phone awaiting calls at midnight pretty much sums up that this is a “look at me” and “like my post to validate me” generation. Can’t anything be done in private?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw one of these and I was like WTF. IMO, totally classless.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Now that being a social media influencer is an occupation, certainly the general public would seek the value in marketing themselves.

Feb 25, 2020
Ca.
Not sure why any "adult" would get so wound up about this stuff. It has zero effect on you or your daughter. Simply ignore it, skip over it, block it, or just log off. Seems it bugs some of you, but you must be at least "lurking" LMFAO. If it helps a player get seen, good for the player.

It's like this website. I read a lot of over-the-top comments and topics here. I simply move on to the next post that may spike my interest to either learn from or contribute to. I admit I do like some of the BMW'ing threads. It's like a soap opera. Long-term cast members, same issues, different story.

You either choose to play the game or not. Like I said, I'm an old guy, and it does get nauseating at times, but if SM can be used as a legit tool to promote a player, why would you not want to utilize it? Adapt or die.

May 27, 2013
It's like this website. I read a lot of over-the-top comments and topics here. I simply move on to the next post that may spike my interest to either learn from or contribute to. I admit I do like some of the BMW'ing threads. It's like a soap opera. Long-term cast members, same issues, different story.

The Real World - DFP. Puck even comes out to play once in a while if you stick around long enough.

Jun 27, 2021
Social media and all of these players posting pictures of themselves in front of an open laptop with a notebook and phone awaiting calls at midnight pretty much sums up that this is a “look at me” and “like my post to validate me” generation. Can’t anything be done in private?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But it is also a big reason why parents put too much pressure on kids. While some kids were in bed hoping to get calls others were up knowing they would get calls. Social media is a great tool but only meant to be a narcissistic tool. These kids are prioritized by the name of the jersey and potential ranking (as bad at it is to have 8 #55 players in the nation).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06