Senior Season Cut Short

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2015
South
I am really curious as to how your family dealt with the senior season being cut short by the virus. It has been a very difficult process for our family. Wanting to play again next year was the initial reaction followed by the realities of a career/graduate school, finances, and the uncertainty of a 2021 season. We are still struggling and a final decision has not been made.

Jun 10, 2018
NY
My son also lost out on his season as a HS senior--but, as an ER nurse, I was able to tell him of what other people are losing due to this pandemic-much more than a sport! The impact Covid is having on some families is devastating, so, he was able to develop an awareness that ball really is just a game. Not that terribly important. MANY have it much worse.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
While my daughter didn't lose her senior year (...yet...she's a senior this year, so it still may happen), she did see up close and personal how her 5 senior teammates reacted in March when all was shut down. The immediate shock and sudden loss resulted in the knee-jerk reaction of "I'll come back for a 5th year", but to a person all have since accepted the situation and are moving on - grad school, med school, real job.

For my daughter, she has already said that if this year gets impacted too, it will suck but she is done.

Jul 13, 2020
My daughter will be a senior this year in high school and we saw the effects on the seniors last year. Not just athletics but missed prom and graduation as well. People may make light of it but I worry about the long term impact on kids that seem to be getting more fragile every year anyway. It’s really hard for parents and kids to understand when the only way the have been effected is by not be allowed to do things they normally would. My wife is the high school coach, my daughter is a sophomore and they went to state year before last. They had a good chance of making it back and possibly winning this year before things got abruptly ended. Those are chances you never get again and it’s my belief that those experiences shape you going forward in life. I’m not sure how much you can learn being cooped up at home except sacrifice. So now I have kid entering her senior year with lots of stuff in the air. As a 2021 recruiting is a mess. The school that had shown the most interest may have problems. This was supposed to be her big summer where all the years of hard work and travel ball came together. Good news is we still have been able to play some but there are still a lot of parts of it that suck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA