SELF toss...How many of you are having your daughters work this in?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Self toss hitting?

• Yes, we cycle it in.

• Crap, kinda forgot about it.

• Nope, haven't even thought to use it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 17, 2009
It also surprised me when very good players were terrible at it. I used to hit both infield and outfield pregame with a glove on one hand bcatching the all a bat in the other hitting fungos one handed (humble brag lol). Not sure why the toss-hand would matter, it's what you do after the ball is in the air that counts. For those that think it's a gimmick, you can't really self-toss and hit a fly ball especially without some form of separation, it just won't work...

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I believe there are far better drills to spend time on than doing self toss drills. Seems like a waste of time in terms of actually getting better at live hitting. If I went to a hitting instructor and this was one of the drills he had my son or daughter do I don't think I would go back. Just seems like one of those drills to that do nothing more just use up time.

My answer to the original question would be no, we do not work self toss in to our hitting schedule.

Apr 8, 2019
It also surprised me when very good players were terrible at it. I used to hit both infield and outfield pregame with a glove on one hand bcatching the all a bat in the other hitting fungos one handed (humble brag lol). Not sure why the toss-hand would matter, it's what you do after the ball is in the air that counts. For those that think it's a gimmick, you can't really self-toss and hit a fly ball especially without some form of separation, it just won't work...
This is another one of those things I just assumed everyone could do, but I was clearly wrong. I first time I asked my DD to try it you'd of thought I asked her to perform a backflip.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This is a standard station in our hitting each day. Also, we have a fielding routine where we create 4 lines of fielders and our players hit ground balls to the fielders. This year, we had a first. Two freshmen tried to just roll the ball out to the fielders since they could not hit the ball at all when tossing it up. That isn't an option.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The main issue is the toss with those who cannot do it. I used to hit self toss all day when I couldn’t find anybody to throw to me (I would hit my bag of balls, go chase them and repeat) and I couldn’t hit water if I fell out of a boat…

Jun 11, 2013
There needs to be a lot of work on the swing but I believe anything you do to help hand eye is really worth doing. Hitting rocks with a stick, playing tennis,etc.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
We do it when hitting outside as warm up. I take a bat and go into the outfield while she stands at home plate. She hits out to me. Then I hit it back. Rinse and repeat while we chirp at each other and laugh. Then, when she’s loose, tee work and eventual front toss happens. It’s a good routine for her and she enjoys it.

I remember growing up doing it with a big stick and hitting rocks. Of course this was before the internet existed to tell me how I was wasting my time towards being a better hitter………..

Jan 25, 2022
We did it occasionally for my amusement more then anything else. The players were awful at it.

What happened to the game 500?

Do you mean $5.00, or something else? I'd never heard of $5.00 until this past season. That's some cheap entertainment. Watching the kid least likely to catch it just put her head down and bowl over the kid MOST likely to catch it was pure gold.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I believe there are far better drills to spend time on than doing self toss drills. Seems like a waste of time in terms of actually getting better at live hitting. If I went to a hitting instructor and this was one of the drills he had my son or daughter do I don't think I would go back. Just seems like one of those drills to that do nothing more just use up time.

My answer to the original question would be no, we do not work self toss in to our hitting schedule.
I'm with you on this, I just don't see it as having any value other than possibly a general hand/eye coordination drill. Posture, grip, load and many other elements of the swing can be overlooked. Maybe it has some potential as a top/one hand drill, I will look into that.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06