Self Taught Pitching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
I posted this on another site and someone gave me the link to this site so here is my question.

I have a 8 year old that is in her second year of coach pitch league ball and will have to move up to her first year of fastpitch next year. We are considering signing her and her teammates up for a fall league this year to get the basics of fastpitch down before next spring. I'm really not wanting to spend the money on pitching lessons for her until I know whether or not she is capable of it or not. Is it possible to teach a child how to pitch based on drills and techniques from pitching videos? I don't mind the time and money it takes to become competitive in the future but for now I don't know if it is warranted. I have an older daughter who has played travel ball as a center fielder for the past 4 years but I'm new to the pitching part of it. I would love any opinions any of you can give.

On the other board some had said yes they had taught their daughter to pitch their first year and then got them a pitching coach the next and others said they could pick up bad habits and I should get a pitching coach right away. But from what I've read on here many coaches try different techniques and also every coach teaches different so even if she does pick up a bad habit couldn't it be corrected later? If this were extreamly competitive travel ball I wouldn't hesitate but this is just league ball (and fall league at that). I really just want to see if she has it in her or not.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have many 8 year old students and I love to get girls that have never pitched. Getting a girl that has already pitched means that I generally need to get her to forget what she has been doing for a year. It could be her pre motion or stride or her arm circle, or the terrible forward lean, she will always have picked up a bad habit. If she has learned to slap her thigh, it is next to impossible to get her to change.

If you will post a video of your DD here, we will take a look.

Good luck. Being a bucket mom or dad can be very fun.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
My daughter has been largely taught by me. She's 14 now and has been pitching 5 years. I taught myself the basics from DVDs and practiced throwing hundreds of balls a week for a couple of years to really understand what I was being taught. My favorite DVDs are Michele Smith's since they are easy to understand. My daughter does attend clinics periodically as well.

In my opinion it can be done, but it's not easy. If you are athletically inclined and good at explaining what is involved with throwing mechanically correct then you can be successful. Besides it's great one-on-one time with your daughter.

Jan 27, 2010
I have many 8 year old students and I love to get girls that have never pitched. Getting a girl that has already pitched means that I generally need to get her to forget what she has been doing for a year. It could be her pre motion or stride or her arm circle, or the terrible forward lean, she will always have picked up a bad habit. If she has learned to slap her thigh, it is next to impossible to get her to change.

If you will post a video of your DD here, we will take a look.

Good luck. Being a bucket mom or dad can be very fun.

I agree with you 100%.

Jan 27, 2010
Get her a proven experienced pitching coach and he will most likely tell you if she has the talent or the want-to in a few weeks.Money well spent.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Here is my recommendation from someone who has been in your position: Take her to a good pitching coach (for at least several lessons) early on to: a) get the basics down; b) so YOU can ask questions and educate yourself which is key; and c) most importantly, you can determine whether your DDs has the desire and wants to make the effort to be a pitcher. IMO, you cannot dabble in pitching, even at the rec level. Its a BIG commitment and your DD has to love it. I have seen many pitchers who are "parent taught" and it really does a disservice to the player and team's development. They continue to struggle and in two years, most of them have moved on to another position. Why subject them to lots of practicing using poor mechanics and struggling in games? They will get discouraged, coaches won't pitch them, and they give up the position. If you and your DD are going to do this, do it the right way early on. Good luck!

Feb 5, 2010
Chapelhillbilly,
I think you are going to get different answer from everyone who replies. I also believe that you can work with your DD and if done correctly you can get her started without doing damage. I think the key is keeping yourself educated and hard work. There is tons of info out these days that will give you a great start. Hal Skinner's Winning Fastpitch Softball was the best 20.00 dollars I've spent in sometime. Some on this site would disagree, but I feel Rita Lynn Gilman was very easy to understand as far as basic mechanics however I don't agree with follow through that she teaches. Building the House is a good video.
It took me quite a while to find a coach that was on the same page. Meanwhile everyone you go to may differ in what they believe is proper. Your DD will suffer with every change. You can look at videos on this site and plainly see that there are a lot of girls who go to coaches that should not be coaching. There is going to be a huge commitment on your part as well. Even if you get a coach, someone is going to have to work with your DD in between lessons. You are going to have to know what to look for and find the best way to correct it before it becomes a "bad habit" and even better yet, is it a bad habit or is just something different. I was going to try to break my DD of throwing with IR until I found this site.
Get yourself a video camera. If you can't explain it, you will be able to show her.
I think this is the most important thing yet, LISTEN TO HER she will let you know if she wants to be a pitcher. If she can not commit to 3 or 4 hours a week, she may not be ready to pitch, and that is what you are being told. Be flexible ( not with mechanics) and let her be a kid. It has to be fun as well.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It can be done. I've taught mine to pitch. Started at 8u, she is 14 now. She holds 2 state championships and numerous multi state pitching awards. ( school and travel )

Now all the men and boys in our family pitch baseball. ( school-travel-college ) So the road may have been a little easier, and DNA might have been a factor.

But if your going to do it on your own here is my 2 cents. Pitching books, and DVD's. Go watch other successful pitchers at local tournaments. Ask them questions, most of them enjoy someone talking and asking questions about their talents. Take some video and upload on here. There are some men and women on this site with much more DETAILED knowledge of softball pitching than me.

Good luck.

Mar 22, 2010
Thank you all for your responses. I will try and video her and do my best to upload it. And she does "say" she wants to pitch but I'm not sure if she is willing to put the time in. She rides horses and doesn't mind putting the time into practicing that so maybe she will do the same with pitching if is what she truely wants to do. I guess time will tell.

I'm so thankful I found this board. I bore most my friends who's kids don't play with talking softball all the time. Now I have an outlet for my obsession. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619