Season is almost upon us

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
We normally stay overnight if the drive is over 2 hours, the truck is comfortable for DD to sleep if we need to get up at 4am. There are exceptions to this rule, like Sat 8pm game and Sun 8am game, but that is rare. As far as Friday night stay, it depends on when we need to be there and if we need to get up pre-4am or not on Saturday.

Note: Stay in a nice hotel that serves a full breakfast as part of the rate. We used to look for the "Cheap rate Hotel" and had so many problems with noise, nasty rooms, worn out matresses, fear of theft, etc... that it is worth the extra $40 or so. In the good hotel, the rooms are regularly clean, they smell good, good matresses, way less noise and less chance of theft. Not only that but it costs my family of 3 over $30 for a good breakfast so the cost is nearly the same.

SoftballMomof2

Softball Mom
Aug 16, 2010
Travel ball is something that is very demanding for sure - time wise. My DD is on a new team this year as well, her 3rd year playing travel ball. We not only commute 1 1/2 hours to multiple practices weekly, plus private lessons, but they are scheduled to play in 11 to 13 tournaments plus many friendlies throughout the year. Most of our tourneys are a few hours away, but a few out of state as well.

Look at it like this, every weekend is like a mini vacation. During the past three seasons our family has made many sacrifices in order to do travel ball, but at the same time it is so very rewarding. We, not just my daughter, have made amazing friends, went to some awesome places, seriously, every weekend is special.

Sure financially it can add up quickly, but here are some things we do that helps:

Pack a cooler
Avoid the snack shack as much as possible
Stay at hotels that offer a reward card, so you can earn free nights

But all in all enjoy it - I guess growing up playing fastpitch, it is in my blood, more or less I am addicted, but I couldn't see missing a game, let alone an entire tourney either!

SoftballMomof2

Softball Mom
Aug 16, 2010
If the games are 2 hours or so away, we generally stay the night. For instance this past weekend we had a nighttime game on Sat, then a bright and early game on Sunday - It is hard to play 3 or 4 games on a Saturday, and then have to drive all the way home. But then again, it is not always possible to stay the night, but we try to as much as we can - plus the girls think it is awesome to all stay in the same hotel and soak in the hot tub or goof around in the evenings together....
I asked before this earlier, do any of you have a rule of how far you will drive without staying overnight..in other words, would you drive 1.5 hours each way or get a hotel? For me i think 2 hours would be the rule for me, but with the price of gas and the extra wear and tear i'm thinking 1.5 is about how far i would drive instead of getting a room. I am planning on waiting till the schedule is out to see if i need a room for friday nights..is that a good idea or should i just bite the bullet and assume the team will always get the 8 AM game?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What regional leagues with quality ball are you talking about??? Around here in the NE, those leagues require(d) that anybody who signed up played approx. equal time regardless of ability so the quality of play wasn't ever very good. IMO, I think this is what led to the travel ball boom, which today appears to becoming diluted because of more teams as a result of noone wanting their DD to be the #2 or #3 (fill in the position).

Depends on where you live. My DD plays in a league that has teams coming from 2 counties, at one point we had teams coming from Canada to play. All the teams are travel teams who play tournaments but the league gives them 2 doubleheaders during the week. The only league rule is you bat your lineup. As for field time. That's up to each team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32