Season is almost upon us

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
In St. Louis, we have a couple of good "select" leagues with A and B divisions. These same teams will play 12-14 tournaments with travel to about 1/2 of them. Some will go to ASA Nationals, others to NSA or USSSA. Each suburb also has their own rec league. Once girls get past 12U there isn't time to play both rec and select.

Jan 13, 2010
I have a senior in high school playing 18U "A" this year and D3 next year but a pretty good 12U DD too (that we haven't been overly aggressive with yet) so I'm anxious to see what will happen with the gold trend. It will impact my travel schedule (and family budget) soon...

My DD is also a pretty good 12U, but we went the aggressive route. She could have stayed on her current team and not have been challenged. We made the decision to play on a team where she would have to earn every inning she gets...hope it is the right decision.

Mar 22, 2011
I have had 5 children and felt that way many times. But with each season passing means that their athletic career is getting closer to an end. So treasure each tournament. Always concentrate on how to progress your child with in the sport, so during tournaments you can watch for their improvements. Between each tournament evaluate your child to help them perfect their skills. Here are some tips on how to create a player evaluation. Softball Evaluations

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Greenmonsters, you have said what I have thought for a couple of years now. I have seen MANY teams here in FL break up due to the #2 syndrome. We have a state website that is inundated with ads for "A couple of players needed to complete our roster". I understand as my daughter enters the 14U arena, that the goal for many at this age is working towards the college scholarships. For this they work towards the "Showcase Tournaments", which are designed for the individual player to exploit there abilities. Not wanting to take from this discussion, but it seems this would take away from the whole 'team" concept of playing ball. How then do recruiters judge girls on their ability to be team players?

Jul 12, 2010
I think I may need some balance. We have about two tournaments a month (10U TB) and I miss tournaments on the off weekends!

Sep 3, 2009
I think I may need some balance. We have about two tournaments a month (10U TB) and I miss tournaments on the off weekends!

I'm with you. DD has a knee injury, and she's sitting our right now. We went to a tournament this past weekend just to watch some teams she had friends on. We get a little burnt towards the end of the season, but with state, and WS the excitement comes back. Then the off season :p The winter break is the worst.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our League’s draft is tonight; whatever happens directly affects our life for the next 4 or 5 months.

Is my DD going to be with her friends? How much are we going to practice? When are we going to practice? Where are we going to practice? Do they already have 2 pitchers from last year? Is the Manager we do not like going to be her Manager? Am I going to have to be a coach on her team this year? , etc.

Anxiously waiting for the results, DD does not care too much. She just wants to be on a Team with 1 specific girl which we have tried to swing but no promises.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD 12U is on a team out of NJ that supposedly plays only "A" tournemants. We will do 10 this year but 3 are one day in the early season. To many 2 day tourneys get rained out here in the spring. We will stay within about an hour of our home field with one trip to DE for a travel experience and finish in Cary, NC at the Pony Nat's. I'd be happy with 8 since she is playing AAU BB with 6 tournaments on top it.

I agreed to this schedule thinking she'd get a lot of practice giving her the opportunity to make a good 14U team in the fall. Am I thinking scholarship? NO! Unless it's academic. She needs to make a decison between SB and BB for next year. I'm only doing 1 tournament team.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Just curious if anyone else is feeling the same as me. My DD is on a new team this season. Its a pretty good team and She was very excited to make it, as was I. The team schedule has been out for a few weeks now and I am already burned out, LOL. I hope I don't feel this way after the first weekend. There is 11 tournaments and the closest is 1.5 away. Looks like most will be overnites on Sat. if not Fri. too depending on the schedule. I feel terrible that i am not looking forward to all the tournaments, wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Any advice from parents that have been in this postion.
Thanks

greg99, I can't say that I feel the same way as you do; but last year my DD played on a 16U team with about the same schedule as you list here and the entire family had a blast.

This year after HS is done (late May) she plays on an 18 Gold team that has 0 weekends off between late May and Nat's (unles they qualify early). She will play 2 local tourneys and the rest are either 400 miles away (So. Cal.) or 1600 miles away (Colorado).

I am lucky that I own my business and have staff to run the place while I am gone. Wife and I have never missed a game in the 5 years DD has played. The entire family looks forward to the summer schedule, as crazy as it can be. When we go to Colorado, we will stay for a day or two after the tourney and call it a "Tournamacation".

The only thing I am NOT looking forward to is my bank account at the end of the season but hey, I get to spend a lot of quality time with my family doing something that all of us enjoy.

Did I say I was a lucky guy?

Jan 13, 2010
We have our last "regular" tournament of the season in OH, the Fastpitch Classic. I'm really not sure why we are going out there but I plan on tacking on a few days either before or after so we can go to Cedar Point amusement park. Theres a good chance that will be our summer vacation. I'm leaning towards staying after the tournament so she isn't tired for the games but, if we don't make ASA nationals UTrip and Pony nationals start the following week. What do you all think would be better,to go out early or stay after if we don't qualify for ASA.

The coaches are teachers so they are off all summer, not sure the understand some parents can't take off 2 weeks in a row from the jobs. End of July is gonna be tough.

I asked before this earlier, do any of you have a rule of how far you will drive without staying overnight..in other words, would you drive 1.5 hours each way or get a hotel? For me i think 2 hours would be the rule for me, but with the price of gas and the extra wear and tear i'm thinking 1.5 is about how far i would drive instead of getting a room. I am planning on waiting till the schedule is out to see if i need a room for friday nights..is that a good idea or should i just bite the bullet and assume the team will always get the 8 AM game?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck