Scoring stat question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2019
Runner on 3rd.
Batter lofts a flyball to CF, sightly windy, ball ticks off her mitt.
Runner scores
Batter ends up on 3rd.

Triple? Error on CF all the way? Batter scored ruled Sac fly, RBI and 3B error on CF.

Nov 18, 2013
Did CF have to run far to get under ball? Likely an error from description. No RBI. No Sac. If not ruled an error, RBI triple.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
All about whether the CF should have caught it with normal effort. Just because it hit a glove doesn't mean it is an error.

If it isn't an error, then RBI triple
If error, it is an error. You can't assume a sac fly.

From your description, an error is the likely scoring scenario.

Jun 11, 2013
I'm fairly certain that you can assume Sac fly

Here is NCAA rule

SACRIFICE FLY SECTION 10. A sacrifice fly is credited to the batter when, with less than two outs, the batter hits a fly ball or line drive that scores a runner regardless of where the ball is caught (in fair or foul territory) as long as it is in play. If a fair ball is dropped, credit the batter with a sacrifice fly if the runner would have scored with the catch. Notes: 1. If the catcher clearly has the ball in her possession before the runner arrives but drops the ball as the runner comes into home plate, the catcher is charged with an error, and a sacrifice fly and run batted in are not credited to the batter. 2. All sacrifice flies must result in a run batted in credited to the batter

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A batter can still be credited with a sac fly on a dropped fly ball if, in the scorer's judgment, the runner would have scored on a catch.

So it's impossible to say for sure because we'd need to see the play and know the players, but sac fly, RBI, three-base error is certainly a possible correct scoring of the play.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Sounds like E8 - 3 base error on CF - the question then becomes SF which would only apply if less than 2 outs.
If scorer believes runner on 3rd would have scored on catch then batter is credited with Sac Fly and RBI, reach 3rd on 3 base error by CF.
If the scorer feels the runner on 3rd would not have scored on cacth then no SF, no RBI, just a 3 base error on CF.

Mar 13, 2010
If the runner on 3rd was tagged up and left when the ball was dropped I would give the sac fly. If they had to run back to tag up and then ran home I wouldn’t.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
If they had to run back to tag up and then ran home I wouldn’t.

but... if the OF dropped the ball (no catch),
then why would the Runner return to 3B to tag up?

but I agree, if the 3B Runner was in Tag up position when the ball was played (and not caught),
I would score the play is it was: SAC Fly, RBI, and triple on error...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32