Scoring question?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Game tying runner on 3rd, no outs. Batter lays down a good bunt. 3rd baseman fields ball, looks to 3rd base runner to see if she is trying to score and she is only 1/3 of the way down the line but has stopped. Fielder looks to 1st to get out but it's too late and does not make a throw. All runners safe. Had there not been hesitation by the fielder, I believe the batter/baserunner would be out at 1st on a close play.

How do score this play. Sac bunt, Fielders choice, base hit? And why?

Thanks.

Feb 7, 2013
Fielder's choice because she was checking the runner.

So it's considered an official at-bat that hurts her average. Seems like a tough way to score it since a FC would also be called had the baserunner been at 1st base and a force out at second base causing an out. And if it had even been a sac bunt with moving a runner from say 2nd to 3rd, it not an official at bat and doesn't hurt her average.

Just seems like in my original example, the batter did everything right, if the defense throws to 1st, we score the tying run, , if they go to 3rd base everyone is safe and yet she hurts her average.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
So it's considered an official at-bat that hurts her average. Seems like a tough way to score it since a FC would also be called had the baserunner been at 1st base and a force out at second base causing an out. And if it had even been a sac bunt with moving a runner from say 2nd to 3rd, it not an official at bat and doesn't hurt her average.

Just seems like in my original example, the batter did everything right, if the defense throws to 1st, we score the tying run, , if they go to 3rd base everyone is safe and yet she hurts her average.

It should be scored a fielders choice since no runners advanced on the bunt, but if the scorekeeper wants to do a little "home cooking" to help their players batting averages they could score it a sacrifice bunt.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It should be scored a fielders choice since no runners advanced on the bunt, but if the scorekeeper wants to do a little "home cooking" to help their players batting averages they could score it a sacrifice bunt.

Home cooked, its a hit!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If it's a team in a league where you are reporting your stats for comparison in any way, then you are obligated to use the official rules of scoring.

If you're keeping the book just to help coach your team better, then an argument can be made that you score in whatever way that helps you do that.

But if you go that direction, then any stats that are shared with anyone else would need to be qualified: "My daughter is hitting .427, but the scorekeeper doesn't follow the official rules of scoring.''

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There is also a chance that the runner on 3B missed a sign for a "suicide squeeze" which would have changed the scoring from a fielders choice to a sac bunt......

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
14.7.1.4 When a runner is checked and no throw or a late throw is made, but the runner would have been out had the initial play gone to first base. = Fielders Choice

Feb 7, 2013
Not the case in my example, but what if the scorer thought the batter/baserunner would have beat the throw had it been made immediately once she fielded the ball?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar