Scoring question?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Not the case in my example, but what if the scorer thought the batter/baserunner would have beat the throw had it been made immediately once she fielded the ball?

Hit.

Scorekeeper can make that judgment. In fact, NCAA fastpitch rules are hitter-friendly in that regard, IMO. Basically says when in doubt, award a hit. That's pretty significant in softball if you bunt or slap a lot.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
As for above I agree with both scoring decisions. FC in the first scenario, checked runner, enough delay to make batter/runner safe. Hit in the second scenario, if the scorer thinks the batter/runner would have beat the throw.

Jan 5, 2014
If the fielder had chosen to make the play to first while ignoring any runners and if that play would have resulted in the batter being out barring any fielder's errors it is a FC and should count against the batter's average.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
If in the exact same scenario, the runner at 3rd runs home and scores during the attempt at first?(after having been checked)
Does it then become an RBI single?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Sometimes the batter gets screwed on her stats, and other times she gets the benefit of a slow footed fielder. Sometimes the pitcher gets screwed by a fielder not getting to a ball other times she gets helped by the play of the year. It balances out.

You lose some you gain some, in the long run its all about the team

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If in the exact same scenario, the runner at 3rd runs home and scores during the attempt at first?(after having been checked)
Does it then become an RBI single?

Sacrifice, IMO. Assuming that the scorekeeper believes that the batter would've been out had the fielder gone straight to first without checking.

This made me smile :) because this is true of virtually EVERY 10U to 14U TB team I know!

Good point. :)

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Had there not been hesitation by the fielder, I believe the batter/baserunner would be out at 1st on a close play.

How do score this play. Sac bunt, Fielders choice, base hit? And why?

Thanks.

Because of this qualification, I would be inclined to score it as a hit. If it would have been a bang-bang play, I'd give the benefit of doubt to the hitter. If it is a play where it is obvious the batter would have been out, then ya..a FC. But if it was going to be close even on a cleanly fielded ball? Gotta go with the hitter here.

Sep 30, 2013
Because of this qualification, I would be inclined to score it as a hit. If it would have been a bang-bang play, I'd give the benefit of doubt to the hitter. If it is a play where it is obvious the batter would have been out, then ya..a FC. But if it was going to be close even on a cleanly fielded ball? Gotta go with the hitter here.

I don’t agree, at least not as a general statement. If there was a play and it was close, then fine, give the hitter the benefit of the doubt. Or, if it was a ball hit into deep short or behind 2nd base and the runner was a known speedster, that’s fine too. But to just say it would have been a close play so I’m giving the benefit of the doubt to the hitter isn’t something I’d do.

But of course it all depends on what’s actually taken place, and you have to be there to judge accurately.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

I agree. Unless the batter would have been out with routine effort I'd rule a hit as well.

But I don't think any of can say for sure whether this particular play should have been scored an FC or H without actually seeing it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors