Scoring Apps for IPad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
I'm just curious to see how many coaches have abandoned the "Paper" scorebook during games. I am a tech guy, so I want to ditch the paper scorebook, and go with an electronic scoring app. Several reasons...but most important is I want VERY detailed stats, and I don't want to have to spend 3 days following a tournament to calculate them. I considered using paper in the dugout and asking a parent to be an official scorer with the ipad. I just don't want them coming to me after every play..."Was that a hit, or an error"? Is there any downside in your eyes to going 100% electronic? (Please don't tell me that the battery could die"....I already thought about and accounted for that. Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Jul 30, 2013
I found myself having to go over and help my scorekeeper get out of jams with the app. I have scored games myself with it and it was great. When having others score games that I coached, I found some unexpected results. I would say make sure the scorekeeper gets a lot of practice with it before you can rely on the stats.

Nov 15, 2013
Ditch GameChanger and use iScore. GameChanger is like keeping the book with a crayon compared to using iScore.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Speaking of iPads and scoring..... What do you all do on those SUNNY days when you have a very hard time seeing the screen?? What can be done to see the screen better?

Feb 16, 2012
I use Iscore and it is hands down much better than gamechanger. For sunny days you will want to be in the shade. The glass acts as a heat magnifier and you will shut it down if it overheats...I found out the hard way. I can't wear sunglasses if it's sunny out and see the screen.

Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
What are the biggest differences between Iscore and Gamechanger? We are going to start using one this summer and we are just curious what you guys see that makes one better than the other?

I am also wondering if anyone knows of a screen cover that would help with the sun. There has to be something out there for that...

Feb 16, 2012
It has been a couple of years since I used Gamechanger but I found that Iscore was easier to make changes on the fly with. I think you have a wider choice of stats with Iscore. As far as a cover for the sun they do make a product for that purpose but in the reviews that I read it made the screen too dark so I didn't go that route. I bought one of the big outdoor tents to sit under and haven't had any issues since.

Jul 17, 2012
When you all speak of using these "Apps", do you use them exclusively, and not keep a paper book?

Mar 13, 2010
I do both. It's good to have both as when something complicated happens it takes time to put it in the app. The game doesn't stop. So I continue with the book and catch up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26