Viewing official scorebooks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2022
Do any of the college softball teams post their scorebooks, or scans / images of their scorebooks, for public viewing? I help out with my daughter's TB team and do the scorebook sometimes. I know the basics but want to get better at accurately scoring some of the more complicated plays. I like to practice by watching college games on ESPN and doing my own scorebook, but without having an official one to compare to it's hard for me to learn if I am doing it wrong. I have found that Oklahoma has someone running GameChanger which has a scorebook you can review while the game itself is still viewable on ESPN on-demand, but not many other teams use GameChanger or if they do the games are too old to find to view them. I also don't know if GameChanger is "official" or not, but I am sure it's being done by someone more knowledgeable than me so it would still help. I'm just wondering if there is anywhere else I could see the scorebooks from recent college games that I could still catch on ESPN on-demand.

Jan 22, 2011
Good question. Would be interesting to see if any other college teams are on game changer. Here is some info from NFCA on scoring:

I haven't purchased it yet, but NFCA has a $9.99 scoring seminar you can download.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Are you looking for something that you can compare against while the game is going on?

I don't know about finding that, but every major college team posts what amounts to their scorecard by way of a play-by-play summary after the games and keeps them up all season. Here's OU's latest game, for example.

May 5, 2022
Are you looking for something that you can compare against while the game is going on?

I don't know about finding that, but every major college team posts what amounts to their scorecard by way of a play-by-play summary after the games and keeps them up all season. Here's OU's latest game, for example.

Not exactly what I was looking for but that does help. I was looking more for how these plays were "drawn" in the scorebook, but the way they are described in the play-by-play kind of spells out how they would show in the scorebook, as I'm guessing the scorebook is what was used to come up with the play-by-play descriptions. So, I can get to what I need from these. Thank you!

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Not exactly what I was looking for but that does help. I was looking more for how these plays were "drawn" in the scorebook, but the way they are described in the play-by-play kind of spells out how they would show in the scorebook, as I'm guessing the scorebook is what was used to come up with the play-by-play descriptions. So, I can get to what I need from these. Thank you!

Oh, OK. You're not asking so much ''was that a hit or error?" as much as you're asking to see how college scorers are using 'shorthand' in the scorebooks. There are many ways to do it, as you may know, and there may or may not be a standard way to score even within a league or conference.

I imagine most college teams are using some software like Game Changer where they're given choices of hit, error, etc., and it's automated. And the play-by-play that I've given links for are probably automated output. Scorekeeper isn't using pencil and paper, just clicking buttons on a laptop.

Nov 18, 2013
Looks like the Big 12 tournament this week will have live stats, probably play by play.

That said, understanding why a play was scored is far more valuable than just knowing how it was scored. But I can see where live comparison might be helpful too.

Pretty much every college game has live stats these days. It’s only been the past few years that so many have live streaming. Before that the only way to “watch” was to follow the live stats. Beats looking up the box score in the paper the next day though.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Game Changer Team Manager allows me to view a PDF scorebook of the game after it's over. I'm not sure if it's available for other team's Game Changer, but I'd be happy to email you a few of our game summaries so you can see how they look when completed.

Just a word of caution, though. Not every book is created equal. Some are way too small to put any detailed markings, so you really need a good book to start with. Feel free to PM me so I can send you some.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
This is what you see. It appears it only works for a team you are associated with.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220509-180506_GameChanger.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-180506_GameChanger.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20220509-180511_GameChanger.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-180511_GameChanger.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478