Score book Question- Error on sac fly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
Runner on third with less than 2 outs. Batter hits a high deep fly ball to outfield. The outfielder drops the routine catch. Runner easily scores from third. This is scored as an error but does the batter still get credit for a sacrifice fly if the scorekeepers judges the 3rd base runner would have scored anyway on the sac fly?
Or does this count as an at bat and just reached on error.

Jun 11, 2013
I would score it as a Sac Fly if I was sure the runner was going to tag and make it easily. Then give an error on the OF. No at bat for hitter.

Dec 8, 2013
Runner on third with less than 2 outs. Batter hits a high deep fly ball to outfield. The outfielder drops the routine catch. Runner easily scores from third. This is scored as an error but does the batter still get credit for a sacrifice fly if the scorekeepers judges the 3rd base runner would have scored anyway on the sac fly?
Or does this count as an at bat and just reached on error.
Taken from this site: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Softball/softball easy print stats manual.pdf

14.2.28 Sacrifice fly: A legally batted fly ball with fewer than two outs that results in a runner scoring a run. If the fielder drops the ball but, in the scorer’s opinion, the runner would have scored had the fielder held the ball, the play shall be scored as a sacrifice fly, and an error shall be given to the defensive player.

You were right - Sacrifice Fly with Error and No At Bat. I'm new to scorekeeping myself. It's a rough business! I use I-Score for scorekeeping and there's actually a button for this exact play. GameChanger does as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207