School ball(When and How is it going for everyone?)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Started both games and 1-3. :)

MS is all over the place. I learned never play a Team from Homer, IL.

Key is 11 years old playing against 14 and 15 year old girls. Hit a double off the fence and line out. I guess I'm a little proud of her. Smile

Feb 18, 2014
Tryouts are the end of the month. DD is a freshman. We will see.

We did take her travel team to an 18u tournament this weekend. The team is all 02s with two 03s, so 4 sophomores, 5 freshman and 1 8th grader. We went 1-4 dropping games to 3 utah second year 18 teams and losing 1 game to a 16u Vegas team. My DD did pitch the one victory we had over a 18u Utah team. She and one of the sophomores will for to same school and the rest are in a different county.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ez_softball

Life at the diamond...
Apr 14, 2017
We're in limbo until try-outs. Daughter is new to school and unsure if she'll make Varsity as a 10th grader. School has won State Championships on the shoulders of an elite 2 pitcher rotation. That pitching remains intact at the Varsity level and should put them in-line for another run at the title. With the dominant 11th and 12 grade pitchers returning it puts my daughter as the 3rd best pitcher in their system. We've always focused on being a softball player first and foremost so, my daughter can play 8 positions with a focus on middle infield and has an above average bat. I think she'll make varsity as a "softball player" but I could see where they may keep her down at JV to be a "pitcher" for more circle time.

Well this just in... She made Varsity!!! The Varsity coach approached my daughter and actually asked her if she would rather stay down at JV and pitch or play Varsity as a softball player. Guess which she chose? I am impressed with that level of understanding and openness from the HS coach. Again, this is a powerhouse HS program in our state and making this team as a freshman and even as a sophomore is significant. On average they have a freshman that makes it every few years and usually 1 or MAYBE 2 sophomores that make each years Varsity roster.

She's totally jacked up right now and amped to start playing games at the Varsity level. She says that she'll just get her circle time this summer on her TB team. :cool:

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
DD2 made Varsity as a Freshman. Got the start at 1B in their 1st game and hit a Homer and made a nice double play at 1b. DD1 got nominated for player of the week for her College conference after hitting over .600 and throwing out a couple base stealers. Great week for the girls!

ez_softball

Life at the diamond...
Apr 14, 2017
Well this just in... She made Varsity!!! The Varsity coach approached my daughter and actually asked her if she would rather stay down at JV and pitch or play Varsity as a softball player. Guess which she chose? I am impressed with that level of understanding and openness from the HS coach. Again, this is a powerhouse HS program in our state and making this team as a freshman and even as a sophomore is significant. On average they have a freshman that makes it every few years and usually 1 or MAYBE 2 sophomores that make each years Varsity roster.

She's totally jacked up right now and amped to start playing games at the Varsity level. She says that she'll just get her circle time this summer on her TB team. :cool:

Two days later and she's now penciled in as the starting 2nd baseman. Open a crack in the door with this kid and she'll swing it wide open... she just loves the game soooo much it oozes from her.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
D's team lost 17-7 in a run rule. 1st pitcher couldn't find the strike zone, 2nd pitcher came in the 3rd inning. she didn't have any defense to help her out and had 2 home runs hit against her. Our bats were good but the defense didn't show up. D was upset since she didn't get to play. Coach was going to have D pitch today against the school rivals but game was cancelled due to strong winds. I told D when she gets the chance to play, be so good that the coach have no other choice but to notice her. Being the quieter person on the team, she have to earn a position on the field if she wants more playing time than just pitching. D thinks it isn't fair that other girls don't have to earn time....I told her life isn't always fair, in the long wrong, you will be a better person from this experience. D always seem to get better when she is faced with a challenge. Playing time for school ball will be a challenge for her.

Last edited:

ez_softball

Life at the diamond...
Apr 14, 2017
Sounds like you are on the right path. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING has been more valuable for my daughter over the years than somebody doubting her. It's a huge PITA to get through but turning that rejection and/or failure into motivation to "show them" has been key for us. When I say motivation it means that she works harder and practices more while setting goals to be able to "show them". You wouldn't say that my daughter is physically gifted but you would say she out hustles and works almost any other kid. We preach that, effort and attitude is what you control... effort and attitude.
We also talk about it and she has hurt feelings from those doubters and would love to tell them off... we tell her instead she should be thanking them. Again, there are people out there that would tell you that my daughter has no business making Varsity let alone starting on Varsity based on her years ago... she's quiet and humble and never would be outwardly disrespectful to any of them but she does have a little bit of fire in her belly when she see them now. :)

May 27, 2013
DD is a freshman who will be starting varsity as a pitcher. Very excited for her!! They started practicing last week - supposed to play their first game in two weeks but does not look promising after this nor’easister dumped rain/snow on us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez