School ball(When and How is it going for everyone?)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
DD is an 8th grader and will be starter #1 on Varsity. Took second in state last year and only lost 3 girls from last years team. New turf field with short porches, and DD's team smashes it. Look forward to a great year again!!!

Oct 21, 2016
DD is an 8th grader and will be starter #1 on Varsity. Took second in state last year and only lost 3 girls from last years team. New turf field with short porches, and DD's team smashes it. Look forward to a great year again!!!

Curious where you are located that 8th graders can play HS ball. Not in option for my 8th grader in WA unless the HS doesn't have enough girls to field a team, which isn't an issue.

Oct 21, 2016

Ha! Just saw the Bismark ND in your signature.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We had our first scrimmage on Monday night. We sucked!!! We have absolutely no pitching. First 3 batters 13 pitches thrown...1 strike. It's gonna be a long and torcherous season.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We had our first scrimmage on Monday night. We sucked!!! We have absolutely no pitching. First 3 batters 13 pitches thrown...1 strike. It's gonna be a long and torcherous season.

That sounds a lot like MS ball for us last year. This year is expected to be marginally better with a pair of 6th graders who have some decent pitching experience. I predict many more balls in play this year...which may not be a good thing. At the moment, the coaches are just hoping to get 12-13 players. Unfortunately, there are a couple of experienced rec players that are skipping the school team because of other commitments.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In Florida so tryouts were officially Jan 22nd, so teams are set, practice is every day and we have already had a couple of intrasquad scrimmages. Uniform night was earlier this week and they look ready to go.

The team looks deeper and stronger this year and we are in the top school class (9A) which basically includes schools with more than 3.000 students (DD's school is one of the 10 largest public high schools in the country with close to 5,000 students).

Last year we were VERY young and had a surprisingly good season ending up 16-11. This year we should be just young. Looks like we will start 5 sophomores, 2 juniors, 1 senior and 2 freshman (we will play DP/FLEX) and there is some 'A' travel freshman talent on the bench. Pitching is stronger with my DD and a hard throwing freshman. Lots of big bats to go with some reasonable speed/single hitters. We are not deep at catcher - we have a great one but nothing behind her who could really catch either pitcher in a game. Our real stud players are all underclassman.

Our non-conference schedule is tough. We have 4 teams that played in their class state championship game (2 won it), 3 that SHOULD of but got upset in Regionals and a magnet school that added 6 players who all play on a very good 16U-A team including a Power 5 commit pitcher. Rest are decent opponents but we should go in clear favorites.

Our district is weak with really only 1 team who we are concerned about, 1 team that can hang and then the rest are just not good and totally lack either pitching or lack pitching AND hitting AND fielding.

Our head coach has state championship finals dreams with this squad - it might be a a year early but it is there for us if we do put it all together. Anything less than winning at least a game at Regionals would be disappointing.

Our first game is next Thursday at a pre-season tournament and then it is on...

Jul 14, 2017
Patiently (impatiently) waiting to see what happens with HS ball. Tryouts are first week in March. As of now, there is no schedule for a freshman team. Quite a few skilled older girls in town, so not sure if there will be cuts to freshmen trying out or if they will all get a JV bench spot. The JV/Varsity schedule seems light. And on top of that, to accommodate the rest of the HS players’ schedule, understandably, TB coach hasn’t signed up for many tourneys til end of May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
Tryouts are the 3rd week of March here. We only had one player graduate last year and she wasn’t a starter. But our coach didn’t have his contract renewed so we have a new coach who played in college and then was an ac and a head coach for college before leaving to pursue a masters degree. She coached at a school DD was considering but decided not to go to so she knows her level of play. The team currently has 10 travel ball players out of the 13 on last years roster so it will be interesting. There are 4 committed seniors.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I held an informational meeting with returning players yesterday. That's where I pass out forms that need to be filled out, go over rules/expectations etc. We have 12 players returning from last year (nobody graduated; one transferred, one has bad grades and needs to focus on academics, and one has to get a job and can't play).

We'll have a meeting for new players in the next couple weeks. I still have a sign-up sheet posted because there are a few athletic Freshmen I'm trying to convince to play. As of now, it's at 26 girls, which is a fantastic number since this will only be the second year we have a varsity team (and there are only ~130 girls in the high school). We have enough to add a JV team, so we're thrilled with how quickly the program is growing. A lot of the new girls haven't played before, but we're used to that.

I'm working on getting a senior to play. She's a pretty good baseball player, but our baseball team may as well not exist (the coach doesn't put in any effort, they played only 4-5 games last year while we have 28 varsity games already scheduled this year, we have a whole Senior Night planned but baseball doesn't, etc.). She would easily be the best player on our team, but I've been warned about dealing with her dad. She wants to play with us, but he wants her to play baseball for reasons that boggle the mind.

Tryouts are February 26th, and the first game is supposed to be March 12th but hahahaha there's no way we'll actually play a game that early.

Oh, and I should have a pitcher who would be one of the best around, but she hasn't really worked at it in the off-season as much as I was hoping she would. I think we'll be able to use her as a #2 this year, but if she could throw strikes consistently we probably wouldn't lose more than a couple games until we faced the real teams in the state tournament. At the very least, it will be nice to have more than one pitcher this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles