New College Update For those following DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD got a letter of interest from the last college on our list to visit. So, last night, off we went. We drove a majority of the way there and spent the night at a motel about 20 minutes from campus because we had an early scheduled appointment for the campus tour and meeting with the coach. This morning we ventured forth.

First, let me start off by saying that DD and I both had preconceived notions of things and were a little closed minded when we initially set out. She was determined not to like this school. This was mainly due to the fact that she had fallen in love earlier with a D3 college that really wants her badly and had pretty much made her mind up that was where she was going.

Well let me tell you, that all went out the window as we started driving up the mountain that the school is built on. We got on campus, went to the admissions building to get whoever was supposedly scheduled to give us the tour and as we walked in the door, the HC was standing their waiting on us. She introduced herself, gave DD a school team hoodie and said, "Hopefully, these will be your school colors in a year and a half." DD was blown away by that simple gesture. We toured the campus with the coach and it was absolutely gorgeous being built on top of a small mountain and into it's sides. The views in every direction you looked were phenomenal and it has one of the handful of nursing programs that offer a BSN upon graduation within a 6 hour drive from home. Their first time pass rate is 97% for the boards and the coach seemed very open about everything.

DD now had a new #1 choice for college.

What surprised us even more was we thought we were visiting another D3 school since the student population is 1200 or so and has high academic standards. I found out while reading the school literature last night at the hotel it's actually a D2 school. Out of the 1200 or so students, approximately 700 of them are student athletes. They have (I believe the coach said) 23 athletic programs. Incredible to believe how big they are in sports for such a small school because they compete very well in most of them.

After the tour, DD and I went to the coaches office and talked with her. After all of the questions were asked and answered about softball working with the nursing program, which they do (no practice/games on Tuesdays or Thursdays which are clinical days), availability of DD's position (She'll likely be the number 2 her Freshman year but if she continues to be a big stick they will find a place on the field for her) and who plays (best 9 on the field which is evident since 6 starters are Freshman and 1 is a sophomore), the coach tells DD she wants her to play for them and offers her an athletic scholarship. DD was ecstatic. The coach told her to not give an answer now but she would love to hear from her by the middle of July if possible. In the meantime, the coach had an early admissions form for DD to fill out which she did and gave DD a list of copies of things she will need in order to get accepted via early admission should DD decide to go there.

DD loved the campus, the school itself and the coach. Heck, I loved the coach. I would go and play for her if DD doesn't:rolleyes:

Tomorrow DD and I are going to watch them play a DH against the college my niece goes to. It ought to be a blast and afterwards, we get the chance to take my niece out to dinner and spend some time visiting with her.

We still need to sit down as a family and break it all down, but it looks like DD may have found her home for her college years. Only time will tell. I'll let all of you know the final decision.

ETA: One other thing that DD likes about this school, which she just found out approximately a 1/2 hour ago, is that one of her best friends since early childhood is going to play Volleyball on an AS for them also so she won't be a complete stranger to the entire campus if she goes.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Thanks! It's only a partial to start but it will improve as time goes on and add that to her Academic monies will mean that most of her college should be paid for. Plus, she gets the added bonus of playing a sport she loves for another 4 years.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
Congrats to your DD and you!

What are the school colors? I'm curious. My DD has an unofficial visit in WV on Thursday.

DD's a 2017 and her first choice is a D3 right now.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00