Sad Day

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
Temple University (Div 1) in Philadelphia has just announced that it is dropping 7 sports. Softball and Baseball are 2 of the 7. I hope that this will not be a common occurrence in the future.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Athletic Director Kevin Clark announced the decision after nearly a year of reviewing the department's offerings. He said 150 student-athletes will be affected and those under scholarship will be able to transfer out

Mar 26, 2013
Athletic Director Kevin Clark announced the decision after nearly a year of reviewing the department's offerings. He said 150 student-athletes will be affected and those under scholarship will be able to transfer out
From article posted on other thread:

The students affected will be able to transfer without sitting out a year, the university said.

Also, any students under scholarship will be "guaranteed financial aid for the remainder of their academic tenure," according to the university.

I'm glad they're taking care of the students that want to stay.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
...sorry for my drifting mind, BUT just watched "Schooled, the price of college sports" documentary.

Do you know where the term "student-athlete" came from?
It came out of the lawsuit involving Kent Waldrep, a TCU running back who broke his neck in 1974 in a game vs Alabama. Waldrep is paralyzed from the neck down. TCU and the NCAA proved in court that Waldrep was not an "employee", but was a (new term) "student-athlete"....their words "a student first that happened to participate in athletics as an extracurricular choice". So as a "student-athlete" he is not elegible for ANY medical or salary compensation.

Sorry, carry on

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
...sorry for my drifting mind, BUT just watched "the business of amateurs" documentary.

Do you know where the term "student-athlete" came from?
It came out of the lawsuit involving Kent Waldrep, a TCU running back who broke his neck in 1974 in a game vs Alabama. Waldrep is paralyzed from the neck down. TCU and the NCAA proved in court that Waldrep was not an "employee", but was a (new term) "student-athlete"....their words "a student first that happened to participate in athletics as an extracurricular choice". So as a "student-athlete" he is not elegible for ANY medical or salary compensation.

Sorry, carry on

Also..."guarantee", they said on the documentary that each and every signed scholarship's fine print says that it is only valid for 1 year.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The 'dropped' sports can thank the football program.
Temple University is a state-funded university. The school receives almost $200 million per year from Pennsylvania taxpayers. The school then turns around and spends over $10 million in the form of Direct Institutional Support towards athletics.

For those who are uninformed, Direct Institutional Support is a fancy way of saying the school had to chip in for athletic expenses that revenue could not cover. Temple uses over $10 million per year from Pennsylvania taxpayers to cover athletic department losses. Much of this expense is from football.

Thomas Corbett was recently elected Governor of the state of Pennsylvania. Part of Governor-Elect Corbett's platform included:

- Reducing the size and cost of state government
- Consolidating state services to make state government more efficient
- Zero based/performance-based budgeting to make sure state agencies meet their performance goals to determine their funding

I think we can all agree that one great way to reduce the cost of state government and reduce inefficient state expenditures would be to look at the wasteful, state-funded money pit that is Temple athletics.

Temple University has a fine basketball program. Basketball is the only program at Temple that makes money.

Doug Benc/Getty Images Cornell eliminated Temple from the NCAA Tournament last season. Cornell spends a total of $3 million on football and basketball combined. Why can't Temple follow Cornell's lead? Temple University has a pitiful football program. Football is by far the biggest money pit at Temple University.

Mar 26, 2013
Also..."guarantee", they said on the documentary that each and every signed scholarship's fine print says that it is only valid for 1 year.
That's no longer universally true - NCAA started allowing multiyear deals a couple years ago and some of this year's freshmen are the first to have them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd