Running Times for a Young Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2009
I certainly said run. But the point was to run them properly. It won't matter how fast they are if they don't corner correctly. It won't matter how fast if they stop at first on every single when they should be taught to round hard and look for a bobble in the OF so they can keep going. It won't matter how fast they are if you don't teach the girl on first to round second on a bunt and read to see if someone covers 3rd base or not. It won't matter how fast they are on a single if you don't teach them to read Outfielders overthrowing the cutoff thereby allowing teh baserunner to take an extra base. These are all things that should be taught. If you teach these skills to kids at U10, U12 U14 slow kids will be taking extra bases while your team of sprinters will be a base behind. The beauty of this forum is everyone has an opinion. Some of us have coaching credentials, some not. As I posted earlier, I have a DD CF playing DII at a good school on a scholarship. So if anyone would be an advocate for teaching speed, you might think it's me. It doesn't matter at that age. IMO you should teach them the game of softball.
SOOOOOOOOOO help me out here again. I guess I'm not the smartest person in the world here, but did you say RUN the base properly. Like RUN as fast as you can. Like RUN to first. RUN to second and RUN to third as fast as you can. So if there a little faster at getting to first, is that part of proper base RUNNING?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06