Running through first and turning inward

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
This occurred in our game today: groundball, the throw pulls the firstbaseman off the bag, the runner runs through the base. The runner turned inward to the fair side of the line and walked back toward first without making any move towards second. The firstbaseman tagged her before she returned to the base and the ump called her out. The ump said it doesn't matter whether the runner makes an actual move toward second, turning to her left puts her in jeopardy.

My understanding has always been that it doesn't matter which way the runner turns, that as long she doesn't make any attempt or move towards second she is not at risk of being put out. What's the correct rule?

Aug 25, 2019
I believe you have the correct rule, but it's up to the umpire judgement. There is nothing in the rulebook about turning right.

Jul 22, 2015
The runner has to make some attempt to advance to 2B in order to be in jeopardy of being put out. Which direction they turn makes no difference, but in order to leave no doubt (and allow for an umpire who may not know the rule) it's best to turn right.

Jun 13, 2018
I (UIC) told our rec league coaches this: "After over-running first base, the runner can turn to the left or to the right, and can walk back to first base in fair or foul territory, as long as she does not make a definitive move towards second base. If the actions of a coach or parent … “She turned right! Tag her!” … spook the runner and cause her to hesitate or break towards second base, we will kill it and put her on first base."

Dec 15, 2018
CT
USA RS37: "After over-running first base, the batter-runner may legally turn to their left or right when returning to the base. If any attempt is made to advance to second base, regardless of whether the runner is in fair or foul territory, they are liable for an appeal out if tagged with the ball by a defensive player while off the base."

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Okay here we go
the definition of the word judgment,
get either
#1 sensible
or
#2 misfortune

Screenshot_20220627-073245_Chrome.jpg

My suggestion is use the foul line as a basis of where you're standing/stepping.
Crossing that line is heading towards second. Staying to the foul side is no intention moving towards the next base.

Just saying,
a foot stepping toward second is still stepping towards second even if it doesn't have a following step.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2013
The firstbaseman tagged her before she returned to the base and the ump called her out. The ump said it doesn't matter whether the runner makes an actual move toward second, turning to her left puts her in jeopardy.

Not to beat this one to death, but this right here is your grounds for protest. If the umpire had told you, "I judged that she made a move toward second and was a live runner/in jeopardy" well, just eat the out and move on. The ump made that one up for sure and is clearly not the rule.

Sep 29, 2014
This is why as an umpire you should always use the words judgement and use a ruling that involves judgement (umpiring 101). Not that this would ever happen but in this instance you could actually protest the game. If you ask him in front of UIC and TD is the reason you are calling out only because she crossed the line and crossing the line means she is now in jeopardy of being tagged out? and he says yes it is an easy win...because that IS NOT the rule and if an umpire is wrong on the rule the call can be reversed. Now if he says my interpretation is by crossing the line in my judgement she is attempting to advance to the next base then even though you don't agree he is using his judgement and that can not be challenged.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00