Running through first and turning inward

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Hey, let's refrain from making a bogus generalization, pls. Most, if not all umps, know this rule.

Hey, apparently not this one, and I've seen umps blow this first hand. While I do believe that most youth Umps do a good job, there are some I've encountered who operated from a different rule book. It's not an uncommon experience here.

Jul 27, 2021
Hey, let's refrain from making a bogus generalization, pls. Most, if not all umps, know this rule.
Sorry to say but that can't be true. Happens WAY to much.
There are quite a few "basics/no brainers" gotten wrong.... a lot.

I have to bring up the " Ground Rule Triple" from the past weekend with 2 umps. You see that right. Umps gave batter third on a ground rule double.

Lets not get started on baseball umps doing softball.

May 29, 2015
An opposing batter checked her swing on a pitch that was iffy at the top of the strike zone. The ump said strike, and the opposing coach, who was a constant chirper, asked if it was, "on a swing or a called strike." The ump said, "Both." I laughed and said to my assistant, "I guess he can't argue that call." It was the perfect answer to end the questioning.

I've made this call a number of times. My answer is always "Yes."

May 29, 2015
I am not good at my historical rules research, but I could have sworn that somebody at some point tried to simplify the rule into "turn left and you are liable to be put out". That is not the current case in any existing code I know of, but I thought it had happened somewhere along the line.

Or ... I could be making that up. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414