Running Through 1st Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Do I have this correct?

Batter’s 1st step towards 1st base should be with their back foot
Runner should move to foul territory while running to 1st quickly while maintaining her speed towards 1st
After 4 or 5 steps runner should locate the ball, if hit on the left side of the field the runner should take a peek
One of her feet should land on the front edge of the base, either foot in fine
After landing on base peek over the right shoulder looking for an overthrow
Runner should not begin to slow down until both feet are past the base
Peel to the right to return to the bag

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Do I have this correct?

Batter’s 1st step towards 1st base should be with their back foot
Runner should move to foul territory while running to 1st quickly while maintaining her speed towards 1st
After 4 or 5 steps runner should locate the ball, if hit on the left side of the field the runner should take a peek
One of her feet should land on the front edge of the base, either foot in fine
After landing on base peek over the right shoulder looking for an overthrow
Runner should not begin to slow down until both feet are past the base

Everything is good except the last comment. There is absolutely no need to peel to the right after passing the bag. She should run straight through down the foul line to decelerate, then it would be prudent to turn to the right after stopping. But if there is an overthrow, and she peels right, then she has to reverse to go to 2nd base.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Agreed with Coach Steve. I would add at slow down, they should peek if anyone is covering or near second. A turn around to the left, though it is an umpire judgement call, is not an attempt at advancing. Should no one be near second, and it is a fast runner, make a break right after turn around.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the replies
Instead of this:

Have this:
Decelerate and peek if anyone is covering or near second
Turn to the right, locate and watch the ball, while returning immediately to 1st

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
You do not have to peel to the right, all you have to do is return to first base without making a move towards second. By peeling to the right you leave yourself further from second base. The runners job is to look either for an overthrow on a play to first or watch the fielders fielding the ball. If they make a mistake you advance, hopefully. Also remember it's the firstbase coach that calls all the shots. They are the ones watching the field as you run to first.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have played softball for 47 years and I have always turned left and I teach it that way. I teach to watch the coaches, they have to make the decision whether I advance or not.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the replies
Instead of this:

Have this:
Decelerate and peek if anyone is covering or near second
Turn to the right, locate and watch the ball, while returning immediately to 1st

Well, let's fine tune this just a little.

As the runner crosses 1B, she looks to the right, running straight down the foul line, decelerating, and if no overthrow, return to the base.

Turning left as we have all said, does not constitute "jeopardy" for the runner. However, one step toward second does! The umpire determines that though many may apply illogic, so it doesn't hurt to turn right after stopping. Amy says she can do it, and certainly you can do it at higher levels. I don't know about younger teams and rec ball. She would know more than me.

After the runner looks for an overthrow, the runner now looks toward 2nd base, etc., as they decelerate. In other words they are trying to keep their eye on the ball as mentioned before, which were excellent points by quincy and rehotcoach.

That is the total package, in sequence! But also hit the front edge of the bag, but run through it and don't reach! That can jam the knee or twist an ankle.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Setting aside which way the runner turns, I need to think about it. A few quick rules statements/ questions:

1) If runner is 15” past 1st they can run directly to 2nd, not being even close to being in the base path until they get close to 2nd.
2) If taking this angle they run into the 2nd baseperson without the ball, it is an obstruction call on the fielder
3) If the 2nd baseperson has the ball close to 1st base, so the runner is kind of running around the fielder with the ball outside the base path, does this change anything?

Thanks again for eveyones help.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Setting aside which way the runner turns, I need to think about it. A few quick rules statements/ questions:

1) If runner is 15” past 1st they can run directly to 2nd, not being even close to being in the base path until they get close to 2nd.
2) If taking this angle they run into the 2nd baseperson without the ball, it is an obstruction call on the fielder
3) If the 2nd baseperson has the ball close to 1st base, so the runner is kind of running around the fielder with the ball outside the base path, does this change anything?

Thanks again for eveyones help.

1) True. Any time a runner is rounding the bases, they create a new natural path, or baseline to the bag. Lets say for example, you had a runner round 2nd base, head for 2b, and they throw the ball to the 2Bman. She stands in a line directly between the runner and the bag. The runner could runner 10 feet around them toward the direct line between first and second bases and be called out for running out of the baseline to avoid a tag.
2) 3) I don't know how it could happen, but they could not stand in the new base-path without the ball or it is obstruction.

I should have mentioned that of course the umpire ultimately determines what that natural path to 2nd base is!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207