runner on third..batter walks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Depends on the age and skill level. Because the shenanigans that 10u/12U coaches run on this play don't work once girls are strong enough to make two good throws in time to get both outs.

The 10u game is the 10u game. It's not the 14u game, so it should not be taught or played like the 14u game if one of the goals of the program is to be successful at 10u.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
At 10U, if the run on third does not matter to you, make the play on the batter-runner between first and second and get the out. Even if the run scores, no coach in their right mind is going to continue to trade an out for a run when they can steal the kid to second on the very first pitch to the next batter. Once the other coach realizes that he is going to have to give up an out playing this way, he will stop.

If on the other hand the run at third is important (late inning of a close game), let the batter-runner go. She is going to steal the next pitch anyway unless you are sure you have a catcher that can throw the runner out.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Last year, we used the F2>F1>F6 to get the runner at 2B after the walk --play all the time at 10U and most of the time then got the runner going to home. Do not count 10U out. They can handle a lot more than you think. You just have to practice it.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2011
The answers here do work. You need to practice. Not sure about the comment that an offensive coach will not trade an out for a run? When I'm coaching 3rd base, I will trade an out for a run all day long...(unless its last bats and we need a lot of runs).

Also, devise a play for the next pitch if the runners are now on 1st and 3rd. Don't just give up 2nd base, make the team earn it and possibly get an out. As the kids get older the 10U running will stop. Many older teams will turn a double play if the runner goes to 2nd on a walk...

Jul 28, 2008
Use the rules of the game to your advantage. Look back rule goes into effect the moment the batter/runner touches 1st base. At that moment, if no play is being made, the runner at 3rd must immediately return to 3rd base, or head to home plate. Immediately after ball 4, return the ball to the pitcher in the circle. She cannot be attempting to make any play on a player, but this does not mean she cannot be paying attention. F6 or F4 needs to be ready and covering 2nd base. When the batter/runner touches 1st, the runner at 3 must either return or advance. If they advance to home, the pitcher can throw the ball to F2 for the play at the plate, if they return to 3rd you now have a play on the runner going to 2nd. The pitcher can now throw to 2nd for the play on the batter/runner for a quick tag play, and if the runner on 3 breaks for home you now also have a play on them.

This needs to be practiced at length so the players can get the timing down. Again, the pitcher cannot be attempting a play on anyone or the look back rule doesnt go into effect, so they have to play their part in the action. The batter/runner heading for 2nd on a walk typically stops with good 12U and up teams. They learn how to defend the play and if it is attempted they will usually get both outs.

This works at the 10U level if you practice. Once your girls pull it off, word gets around and other teams stop the continuation against you. After showing your team what you want to do, work on it for about 10 minutes each fielding practice with different pitchers, catchers and shortstops. I would use the SS at 10U level, because they have a strong enough arm to make the throw home. Also, have your pitcher move to the back of the circle when she gets the ball returned to her from F1. It's a shorter and quicker throw.

Good luck

Dec 12, 2009
CT
At 10U, if the run on third does not matter to you, make the play on the batter-runner between first and second and get the out. Even if the run scores, no coach in their right mind is going to continue to trade an out for a run when they can steal the kid to second on the very first pitch to the next batter. Once the other coach realizes that he is going to have to give up an out playing this way, he will stop.

If on the other hand the run at third is important (late inning of a close game), let the batter-runner go. She is going to steal the next pitch anyway unless you are sure you have a catcher that can throw the runner out.

Exactly!!! That's why, IMO the coach that sends the runner to 2B on a walk is really making it easier on the defense than if she waits and steals on the next pitch!. Like PA said, if the defense is protecting against the runner on 3B scoring, they won't try to get the BR in either case. If, however, the defense is willing to trade the run for an out...then with the ball in the pitcher's hand, it's much easier to get the out at 2B than if the catcher has to make the throw from Home on a steal.

Plus, on the steal, there is a much better chance for a bad throw or a mis-played ball at 2B resulting in a run scored and a runner on 2B with no out given up.

Worst case...if the defense has any of the plays discussed here, you open up the possibility of a DP...that ain't gonna happen on a steal.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
The 10u game is the 10u game. It's not the 14u game, so it should not be taught or played like the 14u game if one of the goals of the program is to be successful at 10u.

I know there are programs like that, but I would really wonder about a program that focuses heavily on wins & losses at 10U.

Shouldn't the goal at 10U be to teach them and prepare them to succeed at the next level? If you start at 10-12U teaching them the skills they will need at 14U, they certainly won't execute them well, and it may even cost them some games....but when they do get to 14U they will be playing at a higher level. I would tend to have more respect for programs that have so-so records at 10-12U, but have consistently strong teams at 14U and higher. That's likely to be an indication that they are developing the younger players and teaching them what they need to be successful at a higher level. (Bear in mind I would not recommend a 10U team that consistenly loses....that is probably a sign of poor coaching at that level).

Along the same lines...if you are a 10U parent and you are judging a program mostly based on their W/L record at that level, I'm not sure your priorities are in the right place.

Don't know too many high level travel coaches or college coaches that are impressed by (or even interested in) how many championships you won at 10U

May 7, 2008
...Not sure about the comment that an offensive coach will not trade an out for a run? When I'm coaching 3rd base, I will trade an out for a run all day long...(unless its last bats and we need a lot of runs)....

At 10-U and 12-U, if I am on defense and there are no outs and I don't have a pitcher blowing people away, I'll happily trade the run for the out. The runner on third is extremely likely to score during the inning with no outs, so might as well take the out the offense is generously giving away, unless the winning run is on 3rd in the last inning.

Jan 31, 2011
At 10-U and 12-U, if I am on defense and there are no outs and I don't have a pitcher blowing people away, I'll happily trade the run for the out. The runner on third is extremely likely to score during the inning with no outs, so might as well take the out the offense is generously giving away, unless the winning run is on 3rd in the last inning.

I hear what you are saying, but I gotta stick by my original statement. As a base coach, I would gladly exchange a run for an out unless we are down by a lot late in the game. Every inning I start with the goal of scoring 1 run. If I meet my goal I am satisfied. Of course, I want as many runs as the defense will give me, but 1 run is my goal. I routinely have my girls sac bunt to move runners in scoring position. We give up an out to move a runner, so why wouldn't I exchange that same out for a run?

I have been in way too many games where I had a runner on 3rd with no outs and walk away empty handed. I never turn down a scoring opportunity for even just 1 run...

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
At 10-U the girls are learning skills way more than honing skills. It took awhile for my last 10U team, but towards the end of the year they were not trading a run for the out at 2nd. We would get both outs. Don't underestimate these girls. Set them reasonable goals and they will achieve them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1