Runner on 2nd giving pitch location

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
What are peoples thoughts on this.

We play 14U A and our runners are taught to give location if possible. We've played 50+ games
this year so far and no one has said anything. We played a team last weekend who are a hybrid between
a rec all star and a travel team and not used to losing and the coach was all over our team for doing it.

Jul 24, 2013
did he object your fielders calling out a steal too? ridiculous. if you have players who can compile and use that information.... it isnt illegal. If I am him, I would just have my catcher deke your 2b runner a bit to make it worthless. set up inside, call outside, your batters would (hopefully) mess up, K, and second guess. problem over. or I could complain like a little bitch... we know what he chose.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
They should have used it to their advantage, like the poster above mentioned. It's not illegal. When I played, I never wanted anything while in the box. I could never fully trust the info, so I'd rather have nothing at all.

About Them

Awaiting genuis pills
Aug 30, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
Even though I really doubt you need to let your hitters know where the pitch location is vs rec all star/travel team, doing this is what you have done all year. I wouldn't want my team to play differently based on the level of competition. I hope the other coach learned something from a 14U A team.

Jun 11, 2013
Just to clarify, they may be called a rec all star team, but they play year round together and recruit from all over the area. They have won A tournaments in the past and I would not have been shocked if they had won this one. I'm sure in their rec all-stars they don't let many actually get to second base. We were playing 16/18 that weekend so we weren't just beating up on poor rec teams.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Funny, I'm listening to PHI-LAD on the radio and they are talking about this very issue. Saying catcher needs to setup later to avoid having location given. But then they went on to say you better be careful about giving location from 2B or you might find one in the ribs next time you're up.

Feb 7, 2014
Funny, I'm listening to PHI-LAD on the radio and they are talking about this very issue. Saying catcher needs to setup later to avoid having location given. But then they went on to say you better be careful about giving location from 2B or you might find one in the ribs next time you're up.

Yup !

This is exactly why I wouldn't do that to another team. It's not against the rules, but I would certainly understand if a batter or two were put down.

Jun 7, 2013
If another team is reading your pitches, tipping your location, and stealing your signs it usually doesn't take long to realize it. Once you realize it is so simple to mess these people up. Change your pitch #'s, give false locations or just setup in the middle, and change your signs. I watch for it but I don't worry about having our signs stolen. They may get me the first time but I'll get them from there on.

Nov 14, 2011
My thoughts are if it happens on the field let it ride. Now when a parent behind home plate does it, that is wrong. The game is played on the field by the players and coaches, not the parents.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Its done consistently at the top level and is part of the game.

I took the NFCC Master Coach class at the world series. One of the biggest topics was picking pitchers and communicating it to the batter and runners. It was pretty detailed and the best teams were pretty discreet with it. Once I knew what to look for it was so obvious who was picking and how.

TBH every team was doing it. Some adjusted to it and others did not. It was no coincidence Traina was hit like she was-the PC did not adjust once FL picked up on the calls, locations, and patterns.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC