"Run her over!"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2012
I am an AC on my DD's 12u summer town travel team. We are a B team and played in a town travel tournament over the weekend. On Sunday we were the 8th seed and played the 9th seed. Our team is mostly 1st year 12u players and a handful of girls who are still 10u eligible, but playing up. The team we were playing was a bigger, stronger, much more experienced team - at the end of the 1st inning we are losing 10-0.

Top of 2nd they are now up 12-0, bases loaded and 3rd base coach screaming to ump that our SS is obstructing the base path. The only ump, comes from behind the plate and tells him it is tough for him to make that call, but he will be more vigilant. At the same time, a bench coach starts telling his players to just "run her over - not our problem if she gets hurt!"

My question: Is this typical or even allowed? Given the score it seems over the top, but I am new to this so maybe I need a reality check.

PS - At the end of the inning I walked out with my SS to explain to her what she was doing. She is one hell of a point guard, who plays SS because of her athleticism. Ump thanked me for trying to help.

Jun 22, 2010
That "bench coach" would be a "parking lot coach" real quick if I were umpiring. Regardless of the score.

Jun 7, 2012
I am an AC on my DD's 12u summer town travel team. We are a B team and played in a town travel tournament over the weekend. On Sunday we were the 8th seed and played the 9th seed. Our team is mostly 1st year 12u players and a handful of girls who are still 10u eligible, but playing up. The team we were playing was a bigger, stronger, much more experienced team - at the end of the 1st inning we are losing 10-0.

Top of 2nd they are now up 12-0, bases loaded and 3rd base coach screaming to ump that our SS is obstructing the base path. The only ump, comes from behind the plate and tells him it is tough for him to make that call, but he will be more vigilant. At the same time, a bench coach starts telling his players to just "run her over - not our problem if she gets hurt!"

My question: Is this typical or even allowed? Given the score it seems over the top, but I am new to this so maybe I need a reality check.

PS - At the end of the inning I walked out with my SS to explain to her what she was doing. She is one hell of a point guard, who plays SS because of her athleticism. Ump thanked me for trying to help.

Yes, that's bush league those comments came out of that coach's mouth...especially at this age. But let me warn you, it doesn't get any easier or safer for that matter. When things get "chippy," players will get their licks in legally or illegally.

Attachments

• Catcher Tackles Runner.jpg
    Catcher Tackles Runner.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 128
May 13, 2008
You tell that coach your SS she can play wherever she wants, there is NO rule saying where she has to play.

If she is not making a play on the ball then there are definitely rules about interfering with the base runner.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Yes, that's bush league those comments came out of that coach's mouth...especially at this age. But let me warn you, it doesn't get any easier or safer for that matter. When things get "chippy," players will get their licks in legally or illegally.

Yes it does get chippy. This year in HS state playoffs DD ( pitcher ) tagged a runner out after a good pickle run. The tagged runner then pushed DD with her hands after the tag, no umps saw it and really no harm to DD. But DD did tell her, "I'll see you next at bat".

Not sure if the other coach heard DD or took the runner out due to the shove. But she didn't play the rest of the game and probably saved her some rib rubbing.

Feb 3, 2011
There are ASA umpires who will not give an OBS/INT call under certain circumstances unless there is contact. The more aggressive teams seem to get the benefit of the doubt a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1