Rule question: Walking a batter, what can catcher do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Nothing in the rules says a catcher has to be in a crouched position. The rules only state that the catcher must be within the confines of the catchers box at the start of the pitch.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
ASA and FED say the catcher has to be in the box "until the pitch is released". Is "at the start of the pitch" specific to a certain rule set, like maybe NCAA?

Either way, there's no restriction on how the catcher stands or squats, as long as she's in the catcher's box and not interfering with the batter. The catcher's box is a HUGE piece or real estate in softball! It's as wide as both batter's boxes, so your catcher could legally be standing behind the opposite box from the batter and still be "in the box".

Jun 22, 2008
Misread rule supplement 31. Says catcher must be in the catchers box and the pitcher in a legal position at the start of each pitch.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
ASA and FED say the catcher has to be in the box "until the pitch is released". Is "at the start of the pitch" specific to a certain rule set, like maybe NCAA?

Either way, there's no restriction on how the catcher stands or squats, as long as she's in the catcher's box and not interfering with the batter. The catcher's box is a HUGE piece or real estate in softball! It's as wide as both batter's boxes, so your catcher could legally be standing behind the opposite box from the batter and still be "in the box".

Bretman,

That is exactly what we teach. As soon as the pitcher is on the pitching rubber I have the catcher move to the very back, opposite corner of the batters box and stand there and wait for the pitch. The picture below shows the foot positions for a righty or lefty batter. She just needs to be sure her foot is inside the box. What they do is before the first pitch I have them go to the appropriate side and draw a line back 4-5 feet from the outside chalk line of the batters box, back towards the back stop. Then they set up just inside the line they have drawn in the dirt. This ensures that they are showing Blue that they are indeed "in the Catchers box"

CatchersBox-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Bretman,

That is exactly what we teach. As soon as the pitcher is on the pitching rubber I have the catcher move to the very back, opposite corner of the batters box and stand there and wait for the pitch. The picture below shows the foot positions for a righty or lefty batter. She just needs to be sure her foot is inside the box. What they do is before the first pitch I have them go to the appropriate side and draw a line back 4-5 feet from the outside chalk line of the batters box, back towards the back stop. Then they set up just inside the line they have drawn in the dirt. This ensures that they are showing Blue that they are indeed "in the Catchers box"

CatchersBox-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for all the great comments. The diagram is especially helpful. Now I have a good pic to show the players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy