Rule clarification: No pitch called

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Here is the situation as best I recall:

Bottom 7th, runners on the corners, winning run on 3B, 2 outs.

1st base coach yells to batter "it's your time (insert batter name here)" just as the pitcher is going through the wind-up. Pitcher goes through full wind-up and when "time" is said from base coach, does not release pitch.

HPU rules the coach interfered causing the pitcher to be confused, no pitch. Home team argues time was not called, nor granted, balk.

Is there any true HS rule that supports the call? Was the correct call made?

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
If something out of the norm - a huge clap of thunder, an airhorn, a scream from the stands, someone calling 'time' - causes the pitcher to stop her motion and in my judgement it was because of the unusual factor - then I have a 'no pitch'. Benefit goes to the pitcher.
IMO I think ump made the correct call.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I've seen players call time and step out of the box only to have the PU tell them you ask for time....you don't get to call it.

Not knowing the age, I'd be inclined at early ages to forgive the no pitch. I am not an UMP though, so....

Was the 1st base coach messing with the pitcher? I don't see where loading the bases helps him unless it was a hitter who was struggling.

Jun 22, 2008
By rule, it must be an obvious attempt to get the pitcher to commit an illegal pitch. In the original post, Im not sure where I could see that phrase as being an obvious attempt to cause the pitcher to stop. Maybe if the coach emphasized the TIME portion of the phrase, otherwise I just have a coach talking to their batter.

Pitchers should be coached to always continue their delivery unless the see a signal from the umpire otherwise.

Feb 7, 2013
Home team argues time was not called, nor granted, balk.

For clarification puposes, there is no "balk" in fastpitch. It should have been an Illegal Pitch (IP) since she started her motion to pitch and must immediately delivery the pitch. For an IP infraction, a ball is added to the pitch count and any baserunners are awarded the next base.

When my DD was first pitching, I remember her being called twice in the same game for an IP for starting her motion to pitch and stopping when the batters were asking for time (but not granted by umpire). I told her that she needs to go ahead and pitch the ball once she starts her motion no matter what the batter does.

Mar 26, 2013
When my DD was first pitching, I remember her being called twice in the same game for an IP for starting her motion to pitch and stopping when the batters were asking for time (but not granted by umpire). I told her that she needs to go ahead and pitch the ball once she starts her motion no matter what the batter does.
By rule, the umpire was supposed to call "no pitch" instead of IP. Besides protecting themselves from an incorrect call or an injury, pitchers should pitch the ball because umpires tend to have a big strike zone in these cases.

Feb 7, 2013
By rule, the umpire was supposed to call "no pitch" instead of IP.

Please explain by which rule this is a "no pitch" instead of IP? My understanding is that just because the batter asked for "time" doesn't mean the play is stopped unless the umpire actually grants them time. In my DDs situation the other team had baserunners on 3rd both times and the runners scored because of the IP. The batters had asked for time right as my DD went into her wind-up, too late for the umpire to call time but DD seeing that the batter was requesting time, stopped her arm circle and never threw the pitch. My theory was that the other team had instructed their batters to call time late with runners on the bases to throw off the pitchers and induce an IP. Not illegal, but IMO bush league in 8U all stars. With that said, it was a good learning experience for my DD since she has never been called for this again.

May 17, 2012
Pitchers should be coached to always continue their delivery unless the see a signal from the umpire otherwise.

Great advice. I tell my DD that once she starts her windup that she is to deliver the pitch regardless. Period.

The only time I tell her to stop her delivery is if someone is going to get hurt by her pitching the ball. If would have to be something rare like the catcher took her glove off or the umpire decided to dust the plate in the middle of a pitch.

Even then I told her it would be better if she through it 30 feet high off of the backstop.

Starting and stopping like that is a good way to get injured.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The ASA rule is 6-10-E (FP): No player, manager, or coach, shall call time or use any other phrase or action in the obvious attempt to get the pitcher to commit an illegal pitch. That's a paraphrase of the entire rule which covers the situation. The result is a no-pitch and a warning to the offender. The NFHS rule is very similar.

The rule does say "obvious attempt", but the interpretation of that is VERY loose and the benefit of the doubt should go to the pitcher.

As has been mentioned here already, pitchers should be coached to continue their delivery and pitch the ball once they have started.

Mar 26, 2013
Please explain by which rule this is a "no pitch" instead of IP? My understanding is that just because the batter asked for "time" doesn't mean the play is stopped unless the umpire actually grants them time. In my DDs situation the other team had baserunners on 3rd both times and the runners scored because of the IP. The batters had asked for time right as my DD went into her wind-up, too late for the umpire to call time but DD seeing that the batter was requesting time, stopped her arm circle and never threw the pitch. My theory was that the other team had instructed their batters to call time late with runners on the bases to throw off the pitchers and induce an IP. Not illegal, but IMO bush league in 8U all stars. With that said, it was a good learning experience for my DD since she has never been called for this again.
Upon further review of the No Pitch rule (and confirmed by Ajaywill), calling time also falls under the 'obvious' attempt to get the pitcher to commit an IP condition, so that is up to the umpire's judgement and not automatic.

Other rules come into play if the batter doesn't stay within the batter's box prior to the pitch. Interestingly, OBR absolves the pitcher if they stop in that case as both have violated a rule while the softball rules appear to require the pitcher to still legally deliver a pitch.