Rose olored Glasses and The Elephant in the Room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hard to tell but if the back elbow gets out front( what it looks like ) everything that person on the left would hit will be a fly ball? I would have to watch it in slow motion to see if that is the case.

This seems like a poor clip to use as an example of Matt Kemp's typical swing mechanics. And, yes, he does hit a lot of fly balls...over the fence.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
The Bottom Hand (2 plane)
•The bottom hand should start almost vertical with the thumb side almost up.
•When the lead elbow goes up seeking the plane of the pitch the bottom hand palm goes palm down.
•This propels the barrel backwards into the back side of the swing arc rapidly.
•A small hand turn yields a big barrel move.
Mentally extend that thumb up 33 inches and imagine how far the barrel accelerated as the hand turn to flat.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
Not a big fan of going back to youtube once you have a GIF... but I see where it could have it's place. The original was clean just in case anyone was interested!

BOOM! Syd the Cano! :) :)

Yep... Thankz again for this..!!! It has been quite a conversation piece in our household...& abroad. I study it alot, and has been a big influence on us. I'm just now beginning to understand the Genius of it... You talk about a confidence boost for Syd !!!!!!!!!!!!! right when she needed it most. I'm just now ready to approach your total written analysis... Heavy Duty !!!! Thx Again !!!! Cheers & Beers :eek:

EP: The how to lay down the bat after a HR was way to COOL too !!!!!

Hah! I just went back and found the post.. I had forgotten the bat flip part! Hope all is well with you and your DD.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Hah! I just went back and found the post.. I had forgotten the bat flip part! Hope all is well with you and your DD.

Good as gold !!! We are going to turn it up a notch this winter... I think I got rid of the basket ball coach again this year... Now all I have to worry about is the PE teacher @ school, rat-ing her out...lol...DD rules the dodgeball games... she is still able to beat the boyz...(6th grade) LOL

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Good as gold !!! We are going to turn it up a notch this winter... I think I got rid of the basket ball coach again this year... Now all I have to worry about is the PE teacher @ school, rat-ing her out...lol...DD rules the dodgeball games... she is still able to beat the boyz...(6th grade) LOL

They had this sports thing in 6th grade. Boys and girls. Big man on campus was quarterback 6th grade boy,
and his dad was the asst. varsity football coach.

They ran 40's and Casey was the top speed in the class. They ended up doing a redo some how and he came in first her second.
I was not there but seemed odd to me.
Casey told me later I beat him fair and square:) I just smiled....

SL

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
. Look for the direction of the hands to assure the hands are not casting away or going over or towards home plate. Look for the lead elbow to be about even with the top of the shoulder and the hands to be lower than the elbow creating a slight angle. This should feel very powerful to them. Make sure the back elbow clears the body completely and then let them move the elbow closer to their body and repeat and they will feel the loss of power and mechanical advantage from the elbow being to close to their body. Amy can explain to some of you why I can tell you don't give lessons to females. Of course not all of them have this issue but some do. Think about that back elbow close to the body. Each kid is different depending on age and as they get older the have to change how far away the elbow must move away to clear the body, depending on upper body development. Yes swings with females an males are the same, but those that only give lessons to males don't have to deal with some issues.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
My dd hasn't taken a tee swing with me in a couple of years. I prefer using pitched balls using a full windmill motion when experimenting and working on the swing. I've never been one to put a lot of stock in tee swings. Tee swings bring to mind the famous "Boards Don't Hit Back" quote from Bruce Lee.

I came across this tee swing from 2009...when we were trying to figure out if she could coil and balance without bending her back knee. I don't like her balance in this clip....but I wanted to post it to show how it isn't that big of a deal to blast a fixed ball off of a tee. Most parents I know whose dd's have played for several years....have clips of their kids blasting balls off tees.

Funny thing is....even back in 2009....she got off her back side and didn't squish the bug...her hips lead her hands...she lagged the barrel really well....fully extended after contact....hit against a firm front side.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My dd hasn't taken a tee swing with me in a couple of years. I prefer using pitched balls using a full windmill motion when experimenting and working on the swing. I've never been one to put a lot of stock in tee swings. Tee swings bring to mind the famous "Boards Don't Hit Back" quote from Bruce Lee.

I came across this tee swing from 2009...when we were trying to figure out if she could coil and balance without bending her back knee. I don't like her balance in this clip....but I wanted to post it to show how it isn't that big of a deal to blast a fixed ball off of a tee. Most parents I know whose dd's have played for several years....have clips of their kids blasting balls off tees.

Funny thing is....even back in 2009....she got off her back side and didn't squish the bug...her hips lead her hands...she lagged the barrel really well....fully extended after contact....hit against a firm front side.

Not bad Welly. Prob should've just

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors