Rose olored Glasses and The Elephant in the Room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It seems to me that using clips of a single swing by each girl, from different angles, and in different conditions, is a lousy way to make a comparison.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
How does HI get forward yet back without using up the IR (simulating off-speed pitch)?

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
My guess from the tone of this thread Wellphyt is you trying to get as many posters blocked from posting at DFP as You can.
I commented on the differences I saw in 2 hitters side by side. If that offended you.... Well I'm not gonna say it.
There are a lot of parents out looking for help learning and teaching there own kids and most would be genuinely thankful that so many quality individuals were trying to help them learn what they alone can't learn. I know I would!!!! But you have found it in your heart to lash out and try to make people feel bad for seeing things differently than you. And despite your resistance to understand they keep trying to help. Ever see a magic eye picture puzzles? There is a picture hidden within the overlying picture and you have to look at it just right to see it. Some people can see that hidden picture easily and some need a littel help to see it and then an AHA happens and then there are those that can't see it after staring for hours EVEN after someone has told them what the hidden picture is. I fall in the 2nd category. You Wellphyt are the one that can't see it even after being told what it is. It doesn't mean it's not there. it doesn't mean everyone is playing a trick on you. It's hard to break out of old beliefs sometimes. I hope you see the hidden picture some day.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
How does HI get forward yet back without using up the IR (simulating off-speed pitch)?

BondsvBonds.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I would have been banned before finishing the first post for this thread....

PS...that's not bug squish, and 99/100 dfp followers could tell you that.

PPS. I have never once, not once, said anything negative about a girls swing on here. When your dd/brooke came up...I posted nothing. If someone asks advice for their child, I will be kindly honest, if they are offended, I stop commenting....yet who seems to be the one that...never mind, enjoy your thread.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Here is my dd turning the barrel to contact:

This was one of the things we were working on the day this session took place. My dd was never the best at using her hands at swing initiation.....My fault from the material I used when she was 9.

The action in this clip is not as high level as I would like....that's why we were working on it. I was trying to get her to use her hands better at "GO". However....IMO the idea of turning the barrel to contact and creating a corner is an absolute in high level swings.

Watch how my dd's hips get out in front of her hands as she turns the barrel. That's the natural way to create separation. The barrel turn move involves three moves in one....Shoulder tilt....shoulder turn....handle torque. If you don't perfectly sync all three moves up you will not get an ideal swing.

In my dd's case....she doesn't get her hands going in time....if the hands don't go the shoulders stall...if the shoulders stall the hips get way to far out front. That leads to hip stall heading into contact....which typically leads to shoulder stall and the arms being the only thing left to power the barrel into contact.

That's what I'm seeing in my dd's swing. A 14 yo girl with a crooked leg working on synchronizing the absolutes of a high level swing.

FFS called the action my dd is doing here a 12-6 barrel path and basically said it was wrong. He said crankermo's dd was on the better path. I disagree.

My dd clearly gets separation....too much separation. Crankermos' dd gets little to no separation. She just turns the bat really, really hard in a circle.

The centripetal swing model has little to no synchronization to worry about. Just turn the torso/hands towards the ball as hard as you can at "GO". It's all unload.

My dd flattens the barrel behind her. This allows her hips to get out front...which causes additional lower to upper body separation...which is why I call it a loading action. Anytime you are stretching a rubber band you are loading it.

I would give my dd's "barrel turn" execution in this swing probably a "C".

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

Ha, Ha, Ha....I knew the Bonds clip was coming. Standard HI procedure. They are now going to try and convince you that Bonds is doing the same thing as crankermo's dd. Not even close. Two totally different actions done with different muscles in the hip.

Now they want me band. They're the ones that wanted to compare crankermo's dd's swing to my dd's swing. Do you all remember the way they all piled on in support of crankermo's dd when FFS posted the clip of my dd? A total hit job on my dd to discredit what I teach.

I also expected them to redefine what "BUG SQUISHING IS". This is bug squish folks.. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

It's what jbooth and I have been warning you about with regards to rear leg IR.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
This is the barrel turning action my dd was working on.

I have no problem with someone saying my dd's barrel turn action is out of sync. I totally agree....that's why we were there. If you don't teach ALL the components of a high level swing though....it's hard to appreciate how hard it is to perfectly sync everything up against live pitching.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I don't mind you 'stating' your case but, try to accurate. Also try to atleast follow along on your own thread. Don't pick and chose and quote incorrectly. this is why the Bond gif.
Originally Posted by TDS

BondsvBonds.gif

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Here is Pujols flattening the barrel behind him on a high pitch. Remember...the pitch to my dd was high....so she had to flatten to get on top. My dd doesn't use her hands as well as Pujols or any MLB player....but the basic action she is trying to execute is the same. She is trying to sync up the creation of a corner with her lower body weight shift. Not easy to do for young players....but worth putting in the work to figure it out.

Watch how Pujols' hips get ahead of his hands as he turns the barrel. This is the natural way the body works. It's seen most easily in the throwing motion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207