Rose olored Glasses and The Elephant in the Room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 9, 2012
Is Jim Edmonds swinging in a circle/ does he have centripetal force only?

Edmonds2008_zps97cb5190.gif

I will be impartial until I see your daughter's swing again. At that time, I will make my judgement. Based on the one clip I have, your daughter has sequence issues.

However, I will respect your wishes and not make a complete judgment until I see another clip.

Looks like hes going after an outside pitch.....hands would come out more.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
How about Utley:

Hamilton, Utley and my dd are all doing the same thing. Crankermo's dd is turning her rear leg inwards resulting in "SQUISH THE BUG"

SQUISH THE BUG is as low level as you can get in the hitting world.

My dd's rear foot action is high level....VERY HIGH LEVEL.

Who would of "thunk" a 14 yo girl with a crooked leg, swinging at a pitched ball, could match the big boys in MLB.

In case you've missed it....crankermo's dd turns her right foot heel outwards at transition. The pros and my dd do the exact opposite. Their back heel TURNS IN and the foot everts.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Now lets look at extension. The HI folks here say they love crankermo's dd's extension.

Girl on left gets extension. Girl on right gets no extension.

Lets take a closer look;)

Jun 18, 2010
Wellphyt,

I have had a chance to meet crankermo, and redhotcoach personally over this last spring and summer. You couldn't ask to meet a couple nicer guys.

Last July, redhotcoach took vacation from work mid-week to help run our USSSA World Series Tournament. He was out lining, watering, and dragging fields between games so the players had the best possible surface to play on.... and neither of his kids were playing in that event... but he brought them to watch... The guy loves fastpitch and has a real passion for hitting.

Last spring I meet crakermo at speed and agility training with his DD. Later that summer my DD attended a college exposure camp with crakermo's DD. Let me tell you, I watched Brooke hit the ball with such force that other's at the camp stopped to watch... it was unmatched at this camp.

My point is, these are a couple of the guys that you specifically mentioned in your first post, that I can personally say have helped my DD in many ways with her softball hitting.

Both redhotcoach and crankermo are passionate about softball and hitting, and IMO are both very knowledgeable about the subject.

You should read crakermo's post below. I have referred back to this post many times:

Mann & Knights here is where I would personally start if I had to start over:

Through my personal experiences in this journey I've learned that the body truly knows how to do what it needs to do no matter the circumstances. The biggest dilemna we face is getting out of the way and letting it do it's thing, of this I'm extremely confident. Since day one I've told Brooke that your body will tell you everything you need to know, good/bad, but we have to understand what it's telling us first and that comes from the repition of doing things right in the first place.

I'm just a regular dad who happens to be obsesssed with hitting, like the rest of you knotheads. I had a chance to play college baseball but I blew that due to a bad attitude, the reason I bring that up is I still swing the bat a lot and love to hit, always have. Anyway here's my recollection of Brooke and I's journey so far;

1. Work from the ground up and don't get in a rush. Master each component before moving onto the next. Video EVERYTHING and EVERY step along the way. NEVER, EVER ask your DD to do something without you doing it first and understanding it completely. If you can't feel it you can't teach it!

2. FFS told me something when we first started and it's so true, forget about the damn ball, learn and trust the mechanics, focus on the process not the result, very important!

3. Now onto the actual process of learning the swing, The stance has to be athletic and powerful. IMO the Howard Carrier teaching is the best out there. Hopefully Straightleg can post the philosophy because I have lost my notes on it.

4. Lower half, Brooke and started out learning the "MOVE" and eventually moved onto TM's SnF and the difference was immediate and drastic. The whip and power are on a different level. The sound of the bat will tell you all you need to know. The Babe Ruth drill really helped Brooke out.

5. Once we got the lower half we focused on the upper half but IMO alot of it is a no teach because if the stance and lower half are correct it will take care of the upper half. I do agree with MTS on the lower back being key. Do your own research on this because I feel everyone is different and maybe it came easy for Brooke and I don't want someone to skip over this part and it hurt them. Brooke and I didn't do much at all on this honestly. The scap loading and such I didn't necessarily agree with but that's just me.

6. Hands, I know there is some debate about this right now but I'm a huge believer in it, TURN THE BARREL. The barrel path is in every elite swing I've ever seen posted. Not going to get into all the technical and medical jargon, all I told Brooke is you want to get the barrel behind the ball without dumping or chomping, Pretty simplistic I know but it worked for her. Some great technical info on this site about it, read it and understand it.

I know this seems vague but IMO it's very important to learn some lessons along the way, good/bad. If you don't know what feels wrong how will you ever know what feels right? Learn at your DD's pace and ability and always keep an open mind. Brooke and I have taken several missteps but that makes the progress that much better, you can't go forward without ever going backwards. The best thing you can do is post videos here or other sites and try some of the feedback for yourselves, that's what we did. don't let emotion come into play because your kids swing got picked apart, that's how we all learn.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Here's the beautiful extension the HI folks rave about. I hope you see it because I sure don't.

This is a circle folks. A centripetal swing model at work. Look up the definition. A brute force type swing that I've seen a thousand times. TURN IT HARDER BABY....TURN IT HARDER.

Crankermo's dd's swing has zero adjustability. It's 100% unload. There is no "Load in the Unload" going on in this swing.

We've all taken clips of our dd swinging off a tee with the pony tail flying up behind the head showing how HARD our girls can swing the bat. Sure it might look good off a tee....but it will not work against high level pitching.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
For the record I am not a HI member. I read the HI Blog.
What you are doing now is wrong with your 'attack' on crankermo's DD.
Stop posting my name in your 'Attacks'.
If posters don't want to listen to me then they can decide.
Again stop posting my name in your thread.
If not I have all day and nothing but, free time.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Here is my dd getting extension through contact against a pitched ball. Note the pitch is high at/above the letters so she is having to get on top of it ON THE FLY. That session was a very long time ago...but it looks to me like she is also trying to keep her hands in tight because it was probably an inside pitch.

Regardless....she still manages to fight through the ball and get extension. When we do these live pitch sessions....she routinely swings at pitches a little out of the strike zone to help out dear old dad.

Crankermo's dd is swinging in a circle....my dd is throwing the barrel.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
For the record I am not a HI member. I read the HI Blog.
What you are doing now is wrong with your 'attack' on crankermo's DD.
Stop posting my name in your 'Attacks'.
If posters don't want to listen to me then they can decide.
Again stop posting my name in your thread.
If not I have all day and nothing but, free time.

You have pulled direct quotes from Rich at HI attacking things I say here...and have posted them on this board. I have all day today also.

FFS and crankermo are the ones who wanted this comparison. You guys were yucking it up at my dd's expense all day Friday and the weekend.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
This next comparison is a little harder if you don't understand the concept of creating a corner. But I'll do my best.

I see this swing as a one piece gate swing. Hands and hips go together at the same time. Putting the bat in the crook of the neck like the tee swing helps to cover up the incorrect way the handle gets torqued. In the end this is a centripetal model swing. No over lap. No load in the unload.

Now lets take a look at my dd...

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
You pull quotes from Ted williams all the time. You copy and paste all the time.
Where were 'we' yucking it up?
My DD was born with a bad right foot(cleft foot). You even pointed/noticed that when you viewed her video. Her right foot points in.
Again what you are doing is wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207