Rolled Bats in 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I took my DD to a new Hitting Coach and while we were touring his facility (pole barn) I saw a sign on the wall that said, "Rolled Bats: Baseball - $50 Softball - $40".

I asked him if he rolled bats and he said he did and pointed to the 8 along the wall that he rolled last night.

I know the guy coaches 10U and it made me sad. Sad that this has trickled down from Adult slowpitch.

All of the morons that say a rolled bat is the same as breaking it in with 100-200 swings need a reality check.

If I were commissioner for a day everyone at every level would be swinging a wood bat.

Just my thoughts...

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
All composite bats now have to pass ABI (accelerated break in) testing. The bats are rolled before they are tested. After rolling it has to fall under 98mph. Rolling, though against the rules, does not make it a super bat, it should still pass the 98 mph.

Just info, naturally broke in composite bats from pre-abi years will hit 104 mph+

Jun 20, 2008
Its still illegal and I would not use this person as a hitting coach and I would probably turn him in, but I do believe that RHC is correct...and it will make a much bigger difference in a pre-abi bat...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Newer composite bats are hot out of the wrapper and are not suppose to get 'hotter' after break in (which rolling accelerates). Therefore, he has a lot of customers wasting $40-50.....

May 17, 2012
All composite bats now have to pass ABI (accelerated break in) testing.

Who is testing the bats? We have played in a lot of big tournaments and we have not been tested once.

Rolling, though against the rules, does not make it a super bat, it should still pass the 98 mph.

Rolling is just one of many ABI techniques. In the studies I have read every rolled bat (except for one) showed an increase in Batted Ball Speed. All of the rolled bats (except for one) exceeded the 98 MPH and therefore they are illegal. If you aren't rolling it to increase performance then why are you doing it?

Just info, naturally broke in composite bats from pre-abi years will hit 104 mph+

I would say that this bat would be on the high end for BBS and and would not be the norm. The max increase you get with a natural break in is around 2 MPH at 500 swings.

The bottom line is if you shave, roll, compress, or alter your bat it's illegal and it's cheating.

Not picking on you redhotcoach, just trying to clarify some misconceptions.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
We have played against a ton of teams over the past year where I am certain based on sound, distance and the equipment were modified bats. When you play against one team who is big and hits hard and the ball is drilled through the infield and then another who is small and hits equally as hard yet with them the balls almost leaves the park....well you know something is up.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
If you play in a National tournament, any umpire can take your bat in any game and send it out for testing! You will see that covered in the rules of the tournament. Yes I have seen it done. In ASA and high school the rules are clear if you get caught!

Apr 9, 2012
Devils advocate

I have seen UIC try to use the equipment on a suspected bat and quit in frustration saying "No one trained me on this"

BIG tourney in OKC

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619