ROE and OBP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
I really wish you could assign a code in the scoring systems to track 2 types of errors. I don't care if you want to call them forced versus unforced. Example of unforced if a player just drops a pop fly or a pitcher just fires a bad throw to first. Forced would a hard hit ball that they might mishandle or a bunt that gets thrown away. It should have been an out, but it's not just routine. I would also like to track mental error hits like when no one calls it and it just drops or a bunt where no one covers the bag. Over the long run it's not a big deal, but in a short season it can make some difference. I looked back a recent season where we played 35 games. On kid had 8 ROE's out of 99 AB's The next highest was 4 in about the same number of at bats. Almost all the ROE's game from kids who hit more Line drive/Ground ball which you would expect. The number of ROE's for 35 games was 38. I know scoring purists say just do it the old way, but with all the stats at your finger tips I would love to know how many of the 8 that kids got were tougher plays. That's 80 BA points up for grabs. I was the scorer so I'm pretty sure I was fair. but would have love to know when I compare hitters. We had a kid our last team who wasn't very fast but seemed to get on all the time by errors(this was a much lower class of play). Of course she knew the Scorekeeper well who gave her a hit on most of them so the BA was very much inflated.

Feb 12, 2014
For those of you who advocate including ROE in OBP, do you also advocate counting RBI when a player ROEs? I'm not a big fan of the RBI stat, but my DD hits clean up and it means something to her.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
I am not a favor of giving RBI's on errors, though keep in mind that it is possible to legitimately have one in that case. For example, less than 2 outs, ground ball to right side, runner on 3rd, 2B overthrows to 1B ... run would have scored anyhow. Same situation, fly ball to medium deep outfield ... ball is dropped ... this would be recorded as sacrifice fly though also an error allowing runner to get to 1B.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06