Rising Stars Pitchng speeds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Ok, so I broke down and purchased the pocket radar. Pretty cool gadget. DD was pitching in Rising Stars this weekend and I got the chance to play with the radar. I clocked no less than 30 different pitchers in 2 days. Speeds were very consistent amongst most teams. 16U teams were between 45-55 mph. Most were between the 50-54 range. One pitch registered 56. 18u teams were between 50-57 mph. I didn't get a single 60 reading yet. It was amazing how popular I became once someone spotted me behind the backstop. I tried to blend in as much as possible. I hear the pocket radar is +/- 1 mph. For the record, my DD was only throwing in the 52-53 mph range. Lol Tomorrow I am going hunting. I am looking to get the elusive 60mph fastball.

Roz

Jul 2, 2011
Totally agree- that is exactly the type of thing that I have noticed when using the Pocket Radar.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Well that truly is amazing. Makes me feel better about my dd starting HS ball. No for the other mythbusting question, I have been told that unless the fb is over 65, that no one throws the fb, everything is movement pitches or a cu.

Apr 6, 2012
I wouldn't say that no one throws a fast ball, but most pitchers don't use it as the mainstay of their pitching arsenal. Movement, spin and change of speeds are all important. The idea is keeping hitters off balance.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Well that truly is amazing. Makes me feel better about my dd starting HS ball. No for the other mythbusting question, I have been told that unless the fb is over 65, that no one throws the fb, everything is movement pitches or a cu.

IMHO - for a pitcher to blow a fastball by an opposing batter, it needs to be @ 5MPH faster than the pitches the batter normally sees.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008

I don't think this is accurate at all. A fast ball can be an awesome set up pitch, no matter what speed it is.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
If a pitcher has great control and good velocity, a fastball will work even against the best hitters as long as there is a changeup in the arsenal. Having movement is great, but it is control (not just strikes) that will win the day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan