They Are Out There

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I've seen many discussions about "average" velocity for 12U pitchers on this site and sweated it quite a bit as a bucket dad who has a daughter with average speed for her age (13). :ROFLMAO: Anyway, at the LL VA Majors tournament this past week, we faced a pitcher from Marion, VA who threw gas! I used my pocket radar and clocked her at a consistent 58-60mph (and saw her hit 61mph on one warm-up pitch). She was a big, strong, athletic girl and the best player on their team. Her fastball command was somewhat erratic, but no other team but ours could deal with her speed (we ended up winning the tournament)--and it was even tough on us. She threw a change up infrequently, but it was not very good and she didn't have command of it. If she did, she would have been absolutely lethal. She carried her team through the tournament (the went 6-2, losing to us twice), but ultimately her team did not have a strong enough defense or offense to complement her exceptional ability. To this point, in local/regional A-level travel ball, I'd only (rarely) seen girls at the top end hitting 54-56 with something of a change-up to go with it. Most I've clocked sit in the 48-52mph range with varying quality of a change-up. This young woman was another category, but the speed alone did not ultimately matter.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
We are currently in Kansas City playing USSSA Elite Select in the 10u division.

There are at least 10 pitchers throwing over 50 mph. Some are throwing as high as 54 - 55mph consistently.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Early maturity wins a lot of 12U and 10U (and even some 14U) tournaments.

Once that starts to even out, you find out who the real players end up being.

Jun 8, 2016
We are currently in Kansas City playing USSSA Elite Select in the 10u division.

There are at least 10 pitchers throwing over 50 mph. Some are throwing as high as 54 - 55mph consistently.
Who have you clocked as being the fastest? Kid from the Bandits Premier? I saw her throw at the OKC challenge..she was bringing it. My DD's team has faced Avery from Wicked a number of times (they are in our area) and the kid from Bandits Demarini (Reagan) last week in Branson (she was playing for another team). I think one of our parents clocked the girl from Bandits Demarini at around 53. Avery was throwing around 50,51 last Fall but I don't think we put a gun on her this year when they faced her.

Last edited:

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Early maturity wins a lot of 12U and 10U (and even some 14U) tournaments.

Once that starts to even out, you find out who the real players end up being.

When my daughter played 10U and first year 12U there was a team that had two flamethrowers. We thought we'd never beat them because their pitchers were so fast. By 14U we easily beat that team and their pitchers looked average.

One, those girls must have hit puberty early. Additionally, I think they came to rely on their size difference to power past the competition. While our pitchers continued to improve their speed, spin, and pitching prowess.

Feb 15, 2017
I've seen many discussions about "average" velocity for 12U pitchers on this site and sweated it quite a bit as a bucket dad who has a daughter with average speed for her age (13). :ROFLMAO: Anyway, at the LL VA Majors tournament this past week, we faced a pitcher from Marion, VA who threw gas! I used my pocket radar and clocked her at a consistent 58-60mph (and saw her hit 61mph on one warm-up pitch). She was a big, strong, athletic girl and the best player on their team. Her fastball command was somewhat erratic, but no other team but ours could deal with her speed (we ended up winning the tournament)--and it was even tough on us. She threw a change up infrequently, but it was not very good and she didn't have command of it. If she did, she would have been absolutely lethal. She carried her team through the tournament (the went 6-2, losing to us twice), but ultimately her team did not have a strong enough defense or offense to complement her exceptional ability. To this point, in local/regional A-level travel ball, I'd only (rarely) seen girls at the top end hitting 54-56 with something of a change-up to go with it. Most I've clocked sit in the 48-52mph range with varying quality of a change-up. This young woman was another category, but the speed alone did not ultimately matter.

Exactly my experience. We played a variety of 12a/b in the Midwest and my pocket radar results mirror what you posted. Clocked Bandit girl at 60 consistently and a couple pitchers in the 57 range, a handful in the 54-55 range and the VAST majority 48-51. Very few of the burners had anything offspeed and therefore had mixed results. Very few we saw had good command of a change and another pitch. Best pitcher we saw was 52-53, had multiple pitches that she could throw with command on any count. I would go so far as to say less than 10% ( probably closer to 5) of pitches thrown were changeups. I call for our team and we probably averaged 15-18% with really good success. Alot of PCs out there doing and saying the right things but coaches are not developing pitchers because they won’t allow the pitcher to “learn” her pitches in games.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Exactly my experience. We played a variety of 12a/b in the Midwest and my pocket radar results mirror what you posted. Clocked Bandit girl at 60 consistently and a couple pitchers in the 57 range, a handful in the 54-55 range and the VAST majority 48-51. Very few of the burners had anything offspeed and therefore had mixed results. Very few we saw had good command of a change and another pitch. Best pitcher we saw was 52-53, had multiple pitches that she could throw with command on any count. I would go so far as to say less than 10% ( probably closer to 5) of pitches thrown were changeups. I call for our team and we probably averaged 15-18% with really good success. Alot of PCs out there doing and saying the right things but coaches are not developing pitchers because they won’t allow the pitcher to “learn” her pitches in games.
Our #1 pitcher on our LL all star team and our 12U travel club just turned 13 and cruises at about 52-53mph with her fastball (I've seen her reach back and hit 56mph). She's only about 5'2" or 5'3" but has excellent IR mechanics and has been pitching since she was probably 8 years old. What sets her apart is her fastball command (she can hit her spots most of the time) along with a very good change-up that she also commands well. Batters often don't recognize the pitch and swing through it. She doesn't throw 60mph like the opposing pitcher that I mentioned, but her performance was arguably more dominant because she kept batters off-balance, walked none, and struck out plenty. (She typically averages 8-9 Ks per 7 innings). Our pitch caller has wisely begun calling more change-ups for her (and my daughter who is also more of a control pitcher with a good change-up). Not quite sure where the percentage is, but the other bucket dad and I have convinced him that there are other pitches than the low outside fastball. LOL.

Feb 15, 2017
.....but the other bucket dad and I have convinced him that there are other pitches than the low outside fastball. LOL.

Amen to this!!! DDs travel coach early in the season wanted to call 90%+ on the outside. Easy for other teams to adjust when it’s obvious you think only one side of the plate exists. Sure my DD threw hard enough to effective but wasn’t long before teams started slapping that to right field. I finally convinced him when he allowed me to call a game. 7inning shutout, 1 hit, no walks 11ks. I was the pitch caller the rest of the season....

Its about development at this age and that style plus only throwing changeups on 0-2 counts is pretty narrow minded!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00