Riseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2011
Hal, that was a pitch released low and has a upward path, that ball, didn't all the sudden jump upwards.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I haven't been around this crazy game of fastpitch as long as Hal or Sluggers but I'll give my 2 pennies.

I saw a peanut stand, heard a rubber band,
I saw a needle that winked its eye.
But I think I will have seen everything
When I see a softball rise!!

Ok, seriously I think the WHOLE point of a good rise is the salesmanship and angle of where this pitch is 10 feet before the plate and where it comes through the zone. If its angled up too much from release it's readable or too high for a chase. The best riseballers seem to have a slow steady angle/plane, and like Sluggers said I think that's what fools the mind, illusion.

DD doesn't throw a rise no more than I could throw a rising FB in BB. But if you can learn to sell, control that "angle" the last few feet, and put it in their eyes........not only is it a hard pitch to hit but it's a REAL hard pitch to lay off of. We call it the "high hard one".

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO

<iframe width="816" height="553" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PHSfa_UaL8s?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
No magic there. 10u student's first day learning the bent fingered riseball. She had practiced what I taught her for around 20 minutes before that video.

Now, did the ball start off straight and then jump up? Yes it did. It traveled straight toward the target for whyat I would estimate to be 8 feet. Then it jumped up app 4 to 6 inches, flattened out and came in on a little higher plane. That day it was jumping WAY too soon to be very effective, but it IS coming up. She hadf yet to get an effective combination of speed and spin for a later break and a much more effective riseball.

Clean your glasses and watch the ball from the release point.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This is what I like to see from a pitcher as far as the slow steady rise. I know it's hard to tell from the camera's view, but keep in mind a few feet before the zone and about where the plate is conjunction to where we see the "rise" level off. Thoughts Hal?

May 17, 2012
It was my understanding from reading the math behind it that you had to throw a riseball over 50 MPH (preferably 60+ MPH) in order to have the illusion of the ball rising.

When I hear of a 10U or 12U "working on their riseball" I just smile.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
As a bucket dad catching many different pitchers, I'll tell you that from my perspective the ball rises and jumps up. As a math and physics junkie who has seen video from the side of the best do and those who I have caught, I will tell you that my perception is not what was actually happening.

Although it didn't happen the way I perceived it, that don't mean squat, because what the batter is seeing is a ball that rises and jumps. That's all that really matters here. The perception of what is happening.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Nobody sees the ball rising to a different plane about 6 or 8 feet after release?? That's funny. If all you can tell of a riseball is what it does it does 10 feet or closder to the plate,, then all just failed your pitching analyst test.

In my video, if you cannot see what is happening in it, what good are you to a pitching student, you cannot analyze a pitch in the first place! Did any of you even notice on the 2nd pitch she threw thai it also broke to the right the last 6 feet? Can you watch the video and explain to me why THAT happened??

-----------------------------------------------------

Here is a little story for you.

There was a break between games at one tournament. A pitching instructor was sitting in the stands pretty much by himself, relaxing and reading a book. A team coach, also between games, came and sat down a few feet away.

After a few minutes the coach say’s “Let’s talk, it will make the time pass faster”. The instructor looks up and say’s “What would you like to discuss?” The coach replies “How about the riseball”.

The instructor says, "OK, that could make for some pretty interesting conversation. But let me ask you a question first:

A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same Stuff. However the deer excretes pellets; the cow, big patties; and the horse, clumps of dried grass. Why is that?"

The coach say’s, "I don't know."

The instructor then says, "Oh? Well then, do you really think you're qualified to discuss the riseball when YOU DON’T KNOW CRAP?"

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
imager.php
[/URL] http://gifso[/IMG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heatherann2006