Riseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2009
The ball has forward spin on it. It's nothing more that a fastball released low and thrown upward. The second pitch even looks kinda like a drop ball.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Dont know if this will have any bearing on this discussion / peein contest / debate or whatever this turns out to be.

Anyway, the camera was on a tripod just to the left of her Dads head. He is sitting on a bucket and he is 6'7" tall. Should have put it down lower I guess.

She was striding out straight down where the powerline of the mat SHOULD HAVE BEEN, if we had thought to move it back over before filming. It scooted a little every time.

This was shot in 2002 or 2003. When she arrived at college she was 6 feet tall, full ride for softball.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Hal, I have to say you are completely out of your mind to think that ball, that girl threw was a rise ball. It started out low with a upward path, that's it nothing more nothing less. I finally have to question you on your claim to be a PC. I worked on a farm, thru out my HS years and the farmer once told me, if it looks like crap and smells like crap, then it must be crap. That girl by no means what so ever, threw a rise ball at all. The video you provided, remember you provide that video, proofed nothing, but waste seconds off everyone's life. Sorry Hal it needed to be said

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Nobody sees the ball rising to a different plane about 6 or 8 feet after release?? That's funny. If all you can tell of a riseball is what it does it does 10 feet or closder to the plate,, then all just failed your pitching analyst test.

Hal I tried to clean the video up a tad before the gif, but I'm sure this is an old video and the quality is older too.

Hal I think you ( perhaps ) misunderstood my opinion. I'm not looking/expecting a rise to "leap" the last 10 feet, like a drop or split finger that falls off the table. But I do opinionate the angle from release to the zone has to be sellable. If pitchers are releasing too low, I can read the depth of the angle ( and I'm sure batters can too ) and know a better trajectory of the pitch ( ball or strike ) Like an OF play, loopers with arc are easier to depth than line flat drives that "appear" to be rising or dropping slightly. I want that rise in the direct line of sight ( creaping up ) not where I can pick the angle up from the ground.

I really hate to even discuss a riseball with a 10yo as a model. For one not enough speed or revs to make it "stay up" longer. Just how many revs do you guys think it takes for a decent rise? 25-30 rps?

Jul 17, 2012
Here's just a tiny bit to think about when considering whether or not the spin on a riseball actually creates enough air resistance that it "lifts" above it's original flightpath at any point. I can't believe for even a second that a riseball actually curves or breaks upward. Here's a test for anyone that belives it can happen. If the ball actually breaks, it shouldn't matter what angle it's thrown at. Throw a riseball and start it at the hitters mid shin......see if it gets to the knees for a strike. I would argue emphatically that there is no way to do it. In my limited experience, and what I know about the world of gravity, there is no way that a human being could put enought spin on an object with the mass and aerodynamics of a softball for it to actually resist gravity to the point it breaks upward. Heck, just think of the mechanics for the rise ball. It needs to be thrown from the lowest point a pitcher can get, and be thrown at an upward angle at the high side of the strikezone. I would vote, from sheer logic alone, that a riseball is an illusion. It may resist the natural gravitational drop to some point, but the more magical effect of the illusion is that it is thrown with an upward angle.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Phandle, there are people that propagate a fantasy of a riseball pitch that magically detects the presence of a bat and then jumps northward. It is a magical event that they simply can’t capture on video. These people claim that they can throw such a pitch, but for whatever reason their magic stops working when a video camera is turned on … and hence they go their entire life preaching a fantasy that they cannot support with video evidence. It is a sad situation, because they have misrepresented reality many times to their “students” and instead of accepting reality, they instead feel compelled to continue propagating a falsehood.

In the pitch that Hal shows here the ball does not jump northward as it approaches the glove. It doesn’t matter how much Hal wishes you to believe that it does, it still does not happen.

sgtvd4.gif

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
We have been on the road to the rise for two years. It looks great to me. DD can throw one, but not this good! Would love to see her throw one this good!

Path, jump...whatever ever you want to call it, I'd bet any ump would have called that one a strike!!! You put that pitch behind a drop ball... talk about disrupting a hitters timing!!!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I would love to see a side view 1000fps video of a riseball thrown well. We could then track the ball with a yellow line overlay. If that video ever surfaced, it would confirm this debate in either direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors