Riseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I would love to see a side view 1000fps video of a riseball thrown well. We could then track the ball with a yellow line overlay. If that video ever surfaced, it would confirm this debate in either direction.

You might be right coach james??? if you used only the typical softball analysis...But I just confirmed it with a called strike....that's all DD needs until we get Diamond, Miken, & Nike to sign for her endorsement (& Skilz), giving us the funds for the resarch. 1000fps cost to much for this consortium....I have yet to see any of the scientist here even post their 60fps of DD or students. I would think that with their level of knowledge, they would be able to get a research grant from NASA to study this, or at least the UFO geeks.

I'm working on the effects of the barometric pressure on the jump of the rise. I was impressed at the level of movement in what would appear to be in a climate controlled environment. I know How said he lost lots of video's, and probably couldn't answer my main question for this pitch...."what was the moon phase during this pitch"??? Was it waxing or waning? Of course we know that we have 0 wind factors to input as well, which is the key to throwing the pitch. So to KISS.... the analysis would need to meet several external fact similes.

If this could generate $support$, and not just interest in debunking in just .txt format, we could raise the funds on here. Each contributor could list their criteria, and $100. As you can see mine would be the fly in the oil, but I would part with $100 if my work could be used in the study. I'm guessing we could get it shot for $1000??? But more importantly after this project our group could take on another project. We need to have another shooting of the same conditions with an infrared camera to analysis the thermal heat disbursement of the pitch.

Love that we are having some stories on this thread :{)) here's mine:

What's the ratio of prison guards required for the criminally insane??? answer 1-5
Whats the ratio of attendants needed for just the insane? answer 1-100
Everyone knows that regular insane people just won't work together!!

Note: just took DD to bus stop...talked to her about this thread. I was a little biased...

PC: they are all on How this time...(biased by making How the underdog... her immediate feminism response was anger... She sees him as "the Man w/ the Plan"
DD: why
PC: Because he posted a video of a his student 10yrs throwing the rise. (endeared her to the situation. If I would have added he taught it in 20 min. She would have said..."like MY flat finger knuckle ball", with total belief )
DD: are you with How???
PC: yes...why?
DD: because I'm just 10 and I can do it !!!
PC: We know... make sure you really pay attention in Science today, I'm thinking about a science project that could win "State"...

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I know that its all about the K's... but for this arguments sake does the ball actually cut upwards or just fight gravity and remain on a straight upward trajectory... my dd has what we "call" a riseball. Its got decent back spin, but I dont think she has enough speed on it (about 52 mph) Honestly, it performs more like a high fast ball.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
but for this arguments sake does the ball actually cut upwards or just fight gravity and remain on a straight upward trajectory

For women, the ball is on a flat trajectory as it crosses the plate. For men (throwing 75+ mph), the ball is on an upward trajectory as it crosses the plate. However, no pitch thrown by a man or woman develops a trajectory greater than its starting trajectory. It is impossible for a person to get enough spin on the ball to do so.

BUT: for a normal fastball, the ball is on a downward trajectory as it crosses the plate. There is a big difference between a rise and a fastball. It is an effective pitch.

All you really have to do is stand on the 3B side on the field and watch a pitcher who has a rise. (She will be easy to find because she'll be striking out 15 to 20 batters a game.) The flight path of the ball has a characteristic shape that is unique. Spend about 20 minutes watching the flight path. You will then be able to go to the "old ball park" and identify the haves and the have nots.

We've wasted lots and lots of space on this question. As I've said before, I've $500 for anyone who can prove that a human throwing a rise has a greater trajectory after release than at release.

Until someone takes my money, I'm closing the thread.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Glad to know that I am not the only one who has not seen a rise ball really rise.

You need to expand your associations. Or start a group of like minded scientist to confront the media. They are the ones most responsible for perpetuation of this phenomenon, as their game announcers constantly report a rise, and elaborate on its effects on the hitters. They also aggrandize Pitchers as having it, and it is supported by their color commentator's both former great pitcher,who claim to have thrown it, and hitters who claim to have spent much time learning to hit it... right in the press booth... This is the root of the evil..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors