Rise ball speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
14u DD has been throwing a rise ball for the last couple seasons. It has been effective for her. What I have seen recently is that as she has picked up speed on her fastball/drop ball her rise has not kept pace. She is consistently about 5 mph slower. Not a good situation as she gets into higher competition. We are currently focussing on throwing it with more velocity and increasing the time we focus on this during our practices but any insight on how to bring the rise ball speed up would be appreciated.

Thanks

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Also, it might be worth trying to get her to "relax and stay loose" when she throws it.

Another issue could be grip, especially for players with smaller hands. It may take time to get used to it (if finger tucked or spread apart) or it may need to be changed.

Good point. There are a hundred grips for the rise. Since she has been throwing it for a couple of years, it might help to try different grips to find one she prefers.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
First thing is to look at posture and make sure the player is not too far forward on it. Another issue could be grip, especially for players with smaller hands. It may take time to get used to it (if finger tucked or spread apart) or it may need to be changed. I would spin the ball on the stick or other device and get stronger fingers.

Lastly, although I prefer some other tweaks for a good riseball (and need to see video), in this case I'd see what is different about the mechanics. The difference between fastball to rise should mainly be how the ball is spun.

I will double check her posture, DD used to have a habit of being too far forward but it is hard tell from the bucket. She has just changed her grip, it may coincide with lack of velocity growth I will have to review notes and timing. She was given the rice bucket drill to help get stronger.

I will see about getting video of her throwing it. Hard to do from the bucket but I think I have a tripod I can take.

Thank you for your response

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
Also, it might be worth trying to get her to "relax and stay loose" when she throws it.

I will reconfirm this with DD. Staying loose is one of our main overall goals for all pitches, she generally doesn't have a problem with it but may be tightening up on the rise as it has become a little more of a problem pitch lately.

There are a hundred grips for the rise. Since she has been throwing it for a couple of years, it might help to try different grips to find one she prefers.

I will do a little more research and see if we can identify a different grip that will work better to see if that helps.

Thanks

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Good point. There are a hundred grips for the rise.
My DD uses the rise as her 'go to pitch' last spring she developed
a finger blister and was having a hard time throwing the rise. Her
PC had her change grips and she is now able to throw the rise with
more spin leading to increased velocity and she is able to locate very well
as a result.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
My DD uses the rise as her 'go to pitch' last spring she developed
a finger blister and was having a hard time throwing the rise. Her
PC had her change grips and she is now able to throw the rise with
more spin leading to increased velocity and she is able to locate very well
as a result.
What grip did she use before and what is she doing now?

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
BOBBYB: I will photograph her current grip and old grip an send to you via PM.
I do not get involved in the different grips as normally my job is to sit on the bucket
and keep quiet :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619