Righty to Lefty slapper

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Nice. Always taken back by kids that hit from one side and throw from the other. Almost seems unnatural and more difficult to pull off. Glad to hear things worked out for your daughter. Thanks for your insight. I will pass it along. All in on one side. Just glad it’s not my kid being turned. Not sure I could buy in.

May 27, 2013
My dd really wanted to try it. I think that’s what made the difference. It wasn’t me or a coach suggesting it.

To me she looks a little odd when she full out swings from the left because she doesn’t put a lot of lower body into it but she has fast hands so gets enough power to put singles in the OF. Slapping looks less awkward.

May 29, 2019
Nice. Always taken back by kids that hit from one side and throw from the other. Almost seems unnatural and more difficult to pull off. Glad to hear things worked out for your daughter. Thanks for your insight. I will pass it along. All in on one side. Just glad it’s not my kid being turned. Not sure I could buy in.
Actually, that is extremely common. The majority of Slappers out there started off from the right side. Take a look at some college rosters and notice all the girls that bat left and throw right.

Apr 28, 2019
Actually, that is extremely common. The majority of Slappers out there started off from the right side. Take a look at some college rosters and notice all the girls that bat left and throw right.
Didn’t say it wasn’t common. When I look at rosters I think wow did she grow up that way, was she turned, did she do both and make a switch to one side later on.

Jun 8, 2016
See when I think Lefty I don’t necessarily think slapper. I think more from a baseball perspective I guess. I think of guys that are tough on pitchers, see a lot of pitches and put the ball in play like Rod Carew, Wade Boggs, Ichiro, Don Mattingly, to a lesser extent Brett Gardner.
The point was just say slapper..using the lefty adjective is unnecessary.

Aug 21, 2019
Any coaches out there ever turn a righty with speed into a lefty slapper?
Daughters friend who is a yr older was just told by new coach it would be easier to teach her to slap lefty then fix all her mechanics as a righty.
Have been teaching slappers for past 29 yrs many converted right handers. When they have the work ethic and drive to succeed, it becomes much easier. Maddie Daigneau is a senior at UMBC and was one of the leading hitters in NCAA her freshman year there. I converted her during her sophomore year in high school and she loves it. Justyce McClain that set all the school records at McNeese State this past season was also one of my slappers. If a girl is fast and wants to change, it certainly will be to her advantage. Loren Bauer switched to the left during her freshman year at the University of Arizona and became an All-American with 17 homeruns her senior year. All depends how bad they want it and how hard they are willing to work.

Ken Rice
Glendale, AZ

May 29, 2019
India Chiles didn't switch to the left side until after she got to the University of Tennessee. She is considered by many to be THE authority on slapping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32