Review Drill - "Drilling Sequence" (Looks Epstein-ish)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2013
South Florida
Curious as to what the board guys think about this drill.

This is NOT my DD but I do like some of the things going on in this drill.

Before I attempt this with my DD(She is a 10yr old 02' player) She is 4' 5" weighing about 65 lbs.

I want to see if there are any changes you guys would recommend from this drill.

"Drilling Position" - YouTube

These were from a few weeks ago. I do not know how to post direct link, or slowdown vid, I apologize for that and if someone has a simple video editing program suggestion I can easily download it and begin to utilize.

She played 2 rec leagues*garbage here) and then filled in on this travel team last Fall and then became the 12th girl on the roster last spring season. She has alot to learn and works very hard so any and all advice is viewed with a positive outlook. Thanks in advance.

Game Swing One - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uj4lRxOUNU
Game Swing Two - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT2fxpnG-C8

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Before I comment on the drill, what do you like about it? Is there some issue your DD is having that you think this drill would address? It's easier to make a judgment on a drill if you know what you're trying to accomplish. Thanks!

May 26, 2013
South Florida
Before I comment on the drill, what do you like about it? Is there some issue your DD is having that you think this drill would address? It's easier to make a judgment on a drill if you know what you're trying to accomplish. Thanks!

She has two issues that I believe hinder her ability to power through the ball.

1. She drops her front elbow (this drill instills a high lead front elbow)
2. She does not keep the bat back long enough. I'm not sure I like it touching the tricep/shoulder in this drill, but see the upside of providing that feeling on keeping it back until ready to release hands to the ball.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA

2. She does not keep the bat back long enough. I'm not sure I like it touching the tricep/shoulder in this drill, but see the upside of providing that feeling on keeping it back until ready to release hands to the ball.

Without seeing a video, it sounds like she's taking the "hands to the ball" - dropping the front elbow and swinging through a short zone with her bat.

Something I would focus on with your DD is that the elbow height is a reflection of the lateral tilt in a swing - the elbow shouldn't raise or lower independently of the upper body. Some call that elbow disconnect (hitter on the left):

enforcer-glauss-disconnect.gif

I would practice better lateral tilt with a two-tee drill, where one tee is set higher to the inside of the batter and the second with a ball is set further away and lower (this hitter isn't an ideal model for this concept, but it should give you the picture):

2r4048y.jpg

The two-tee drill will address both of these issues if the focus is on lateral tilt that "fuses" the elbow in relation to the torso through the first part of the upper body launch. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Curious as to what the board guys think about this drill.

This is NOT my DD but I do like some of the things going on in this drill.

Before I attempt this with my DD(She is a 10yr old 02' player) She is 4' 5" weighing about 65 lbs.

I want to see if there are any changes you guys would recommend from this drill.

"Drilling Position" - YouTube

I chuckled when he stated a goal of removing the "baseball swing".

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

1. She drops her front elbow (this drill instills a high lead front elbow) 2. She does not keep the bat back long enough. I'm not sure I like it touching the tricep/shoulder in this drill, but see the upside of providing that feeling on keeping it back until ready to release hands to the ball.

1. She drops her front elbow (this drill instills a high lead front elbow
FFS pic:
20h7lg4.jpg

release hands to the ball. How about having your DD 'release the barrel to the ball.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

These two issues suggest a lack of structure.

This drill, as performed, will provide structure, but in a band-aid form that can't be brought into the batter's box at a high level.

Consider reading up on "Extensor Action". Very easy ... very effective ... and not a band-aid solution. Learn how the top hand is used.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I can see how this drill might help with specific mechanics issues like dropping the front elbow and keeping the hands from getting out front too soon). However, I see a high potential for developing a drop-the-barrel-and swing-flat pattern and late bat speed. I strongly dislike the cue to "push" through contact.

Personally, I would teach this with the bat on top of the shoulder, and then turning the barrel to contact by rotating the with the hands/arms.

May 26, 2013
South Florida
Considering the fact I coached my sons baseball teams for 7 years I also chuckled at that comment. I am continuously told that the swings are different, yet on here I see tons of comparison and footage of baseball swings analysis.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32